Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ambient lighting package on the new Escapes. Does anybody have pictures of them? I just ordered it on a charcoal interior on a 2010 escape SAP. I'd like to see what it looks like before it comes in!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Saw another thread with pics here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2273

The pics don't really do it justice. Besides under the dash, there are also LED's in the doors and centre cup holders as well. There's a button on the centre console which changes the lights' colour each time you press it. Some say it's too much money for what you get, but I ordered mine with it for the cool factor. :)P

Best way to be sure about it is to go to a dealership in the evening and ask to see an Escape with the ambient lighting. I think all Limiteds have it, so chances are your dealer has one on their lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just recieved my Black 2010 Escape with the SAP. it is smooooooth. the ambient lighting is pretty killer. i will try to get some pics up here soon. i went driving in the PA mountains and Harriet (my new escape) needs a wash.

but you are in for a treat

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does the Escape have lighting by the floor that goes on when you enter the vehicle standard? I'm really only interested in it then or when I turn them on manually to find something.

Though I'd love to find a way to light the cup holders in the dark. Red Neck mod would be a stick on glow in the dark moon. LOL

That's if I ever get one from the dealer ! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
02Xcape said:
you can buy a package or led lights for the car around 40 bucks, if i recall...
and they cycle through 7 different colors also, and have strobes, fading, and chasing effects...
Back in the day, I just used old Christmas Lights hooked into the dimming dash lights circuit on my old 78 Buick.... technology.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My XLT came with them, they do indeed change colours when you hit the light button, and do provide good light for the floor up front and the cup holders. What I would have liked to see is a dimming control - they are super bright, which is ok if you never leave the city lights, but on the highway or in the country its really bright. Cool tho...

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
you should drop a disco ball in along with a strobe light that changes colors with a checkered design in the back :beer:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kurochan said:
Has anybody installed the Ford Kit either at the dealer or by themselves? (i.e., not factory installed at time of vehicle purchase)

Is this item the same as the factory install?
8L8Z-13E700-AA Interior Light Kit
http://www.parts.com/accessories/in...&subcat1=158157&subcat2=158230&subcat3=158234

Does the switch for this install go in the same place (to the right of the shifter)?
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I was wondering the same thing... has anyone installed this recently on their own? I might want to add it. We rented 2011 Escape a few months ago and it has this option, which was pretty nice. Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Griff919 said:
Whats up escape city, this my first post on the forum, @atran416 i got a pretty sweet pic of my mcdonalds cup with the ambient lighting, good luck on the install..

redlight by m.griffin19, on Flickr
Sweet! Try it sometime with there OJ or Any of there clear cups. Also :welcome:

·
Registered
699 Posts
drastic08 said:
this might be a dumb question, i jus recently bought mine, its a 05 escape xlt, i was wondering if this lighting only works for the 2010 or would it work with all models? if so where could i order them.
I wanna say 2008+ :shrug: But you can ether do aftermarket or a factory installed

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did an ambient lighting install on my car, a 2003 Escape, about six months ago and I must say I absolutely love it! I was considering the Ford kit when I spoke to my girlfriends father who is a Ford Mechanic and he advised me against it. Simply because there are better kits our there for much less. So I searched around on the internet and found this lighting kit;

http://www.ledunderbody.com/Million-Color-Flexible-motorcycle-led-lights.aspx

The total cost of the kit is only 42.00 dollars and it is super bright. It comes with a remote control to adjust or change the color of the lights, instead of having to drill a switch with the ford kit. I know it says motorcycle but ignore that, it does not make the kit any different from other more expensive kits on the market.

I will try and post some pictures of this kit in my car when it stops raining.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I bought the OEM Light kit on eBay. For those that did install it themselves, I can't find the instructions for the installation online for an escape/mariner. But, I did find them for an F150. For the F150, they state to tap into the brown wire under the doorsill. Is this still correct? Is it still a brown wire? The rest I can figure out. Only other thing that is different on the install is that they show the LED lighting as tubular, where mine are a 2 inch wide (or so) oval shaped LED. It mounts with 3M tape and/or screws. The on/off button seems to be a little different as well. The F150 guide shows the top unscrewing, where mine does not at all. It also has 4 hard plastic prongs around it - still trying to figure out how that might go into a 3/4" hole... :confused:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
raff92 said:
I did an ambient lighting install on my car, a 2003 Escape, about six months ago and I must say I absolutely love it! I was considering the Ford kit when I spoke to my girlfriends father who is a Ford Mechanic and he advised me against it. Simply because there are better kits our there for much less. So I searched around on the internet and found this lighting kit;

http://www.ledunderbody.com/Million-Color-Flexible-motorcycle-led-lights.aspx

The total cost of the kit is only 42.00 dollars and it is super bright. It comes with a remote control to adjust or change the color of the lights, instead of having to drill a switch with the ford kit. I know it says motorcycle but ignore that, it does not make the kit any different from other more expensive kits on the market.

I will try and post some pictures of this kit in my car when it stops raining.
The thing is with many of these aftermarket kits (such as those promoted by a former member of the City), they all seem too bright for my tastes. Maybe it's just the mounting, but if I were to get one of these, I don't want people getting into my car and saying "Wow...cool...that's, um...really bright", if you know what I mean. In other words, most of the lighting kits I've seen are obviously aftermarket, and there's a very fine line between "refined" and "gawdy" ;)

From the pics I've seen of the Escape kits installed, the lighting seems to be more subtle and just flows better with the rest of the in-vehicle illumination (which is probably why it's OEM and costs $$$).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.