Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. We've finally had our 'American style' fridge freezer wired & plumbed in. I have to say that cold water & either cubed or crushed ice on demand is excellent, especially with the hot, muggy evening we had last night. :yahoo:

Freezer doesn't seem particularly large, but the fridge side is massive. It's a Samsung model, and looks great in stainless steel......(The £1500 cost was a bit of a heart-stopper though!)

Again. Thank you U.S.A. :yahoo: :yahoo: :beer:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I may have a simular model to you BigChris. Ours is a Samsung, stainless steel 2 door with the ice and water function.
We've had it 1 year and so far so good ;)

Are you enjoying the warm weather?
My Mum and sister are over there at the moment. They went to France and Spain for 2 weeks and are now staying in Southampton for 4 weeks...

Just me and Dad at home :yahoo:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Big Chris said:
Well. We've finally had our 'American style' fridge freezer wired & plumbed in. I have to say that cold water & either cubed or crushed ice on demand is excellent, especially with the hot, muggy evening we had last night. :yahoo:

Freezer doesn't seem particularly large, but the fridge side is massive. It's a Samsung model, and looks great in stainless steel......(The £1500 cost was a bit of a heart-stopper though!)

Again. Thank you U.S.A. :yahoo: :yahoo: :beer:
What's "American style"....Oh, I remember, so BC, what do you think of ice and cold beer? :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Ours is a GE. Purchased about ten years ago and still going strong. We love that cold water with the cubed or crushed ice !!! Don't know how we ever lived without it. When it does finally go, it will most definitely be replaced with a similar model.

Enjoy it, Chris !! :beer:

·
Registered
611 Posts
"The £1500 cost was a bit of a heart-stopper though."
That's not bad. They are $1,700 to $2,200 here. But "American Style?" Did you have to get a converter from AC current too DC current or some other plug in feature? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Our Whirlpool is over nine years old, about to go on ten in a couple months. I never had anything go wrong with a fridge, usually just moved up because there was something better. The last one (Sears) we left in the house when we moved out so my wife could have black appliances in the house we are in now. Before the Sears was a GE and a Westinghouse before that one.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry. Should have clarified.

Fridge Freezers over here are about 60 cm wide. They have a freezer unit most usually found at the bottom, with the fridge unit at the top.

When Brits refer to 'American Style' Fridge Freezers, it's referring to the side-by-side design. A lot wider than traditional Brit appliances (Our Samsung is 94cm wide)

British Fridge Freezers don't have water/ice dispensing either.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ours has a freezer at the bottom, with side-by-sides on top.

Would anyone be surprised if I also said that it has blue LEDs?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tribby said:
I may have a simular model to you BigChris. Ours is a Samsung, stainless steel 2 door with the ice and water function.

My Mum and sister are over there at the moment. They went to France and Spain for 2 weeks and are now staying in Southampton for 4 weeks...

Southampton for 4 weeks? Never been there myself, but I don't think there's 4 weeks worth of entertainment in Southampton. :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jpark said:
Ours has a freezer at the bottom, with side-by-sides on top.

Would anyone be surprised if I also said that it has blue LEDs?
Ours has blue LED display too :yahoo: :thumb:

Apparently, out Fridge is at 3 degrees C. The Freezer at -20 degrees C. Dunno if these are the optimal temps, but it all seems OK......Just need to fill it with food now.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
We tried filling it with food once.

It was empty in half an hour.

Now it just dispenses ice and water.

:bill:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Fries???!!!???

OK, now I'm angry... and jealous.

:cuss:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hmm, don't you hate a showoff !!!!!!!! ;)

The Camusdarrach family are the proud owners of two British fridge freezers, they just hold a weeks worth of shopping each, and require the occasional kick to ensure that they are working fine :mad: :rant: :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Big Chris said:
Fridge Freezers over here are about 60 cm wide. They have a freezer unit most usually found at the bottom, with the fridge unit at the top.
That's pretty much what I have except the freezer is on top and mine is 30" wide (closer to 72cm). It's a 10-12 yr old Whirlpool that makes a gawd-awful noise every time the motor kicks in. My kitchen is tiny and I can't fit a side by side or one of those fancy french door models. I've never had a water or ice dispenser. I also have an old stand-up freezer in the basement that has to be defrosted every 2 or 3 years.

So Chris... sounds like you might be interested in another great American invention... a dish washer ;) (I've never had one of them either... :cry: )

·
Registered
464 Posts
Big Chris said:
Tribby said:

Southampton for 4 weeks? Never been there myself, but I don't think there's 4 weeks worth of entertainment in Southampton. :D
Haha yeah there isn't much to do there. That is when we used to live when I was little. Mum's 4 brothers and 5 sisters still live there.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Does it make fries?

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
jpark said:
Does it make fries?
No...rarely ice, except on the outside. I have to physically defrost it at least once a month. :censor:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts