Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Escape has reached the 10,000km mark and was due for an oil change (first one was free at the Ford Dealer at 7,000km and they used conventional oil) as I am now on the oil change (synthetic) / tire rotation schedule every 5,000km.
I also installed a set of front mud flaps that I got when I purchased the Escape (along with all weather floor mats, rubber trunk mat, & cargo net) as part of the Sync Your Ride campaign since I opted for the $500 worth of accessories instead of the Sync Package.
I also figured it was time to upgrade the brake rotors since I was going to have the wheels off anyways. I am still waiting for Hawk to produce a HPS compound pad for my application so until then I figured I will use up the stock brake pads since they are pretty low dusting. I also bled the braking system with some good brake fluid for good measure.

Never thought I would be a mud flap guy, but with the wider tires it is almost a necessity to keep the sides cleaner (put them on when I would normally be taking them off). The OEM Ford molded flaps actually look pretty good to me. I only put them on the front because the rear mud flaps make the back end look a bit droopy.



The slippery stuff... Motul synthetic is my oil of preference along with an OEM oil filter.



The grippy stuff... Powerslot is one of the few companys that make a rotor for the Escape, and you can't go wrong with Brembo brake fluid!



Out with the old and in with the new!



An installed photo before the wheels went back on.



Some photos of the KYB GR-2 shocks that I installed a couple of months ago to replace the lame factory shocks. I am still contemplating on purchasing a set of Koni Heavy Track shocks and struts if Bilstein does not come out with a shock and strut package soon.




Removed the cold air inlet pipe from the air box for fun as the front part of the pipe is actually 3/4 blocked by where it bolts onto the radiator support. I didn't expect any power gain, but the induction sound is neat. I also installed a K&N panel filter just so I won't have to buy any more filters (again not expecting any power gain).



The air box without the intake pipe attatched.



And finally a couple of pictures of the rotors with the wheels on...


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Powerslot is still doing their slots right to the edge, eh? I don't like that at all; puts too much stress out to the edge and can lead to cracked rotors. Proper slots should be chamfered and end before the edge. KVR does good work using Brembo blanks, but they're pricey and on the other side of the country.

Did Powerslot tell you to install the rotors that way? Most companies say to install the rotors the other way around, with the slots scraping the pad from the outside in. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for sharing. I always wondered about the mudflaps on the 08+. Now at least I know how they look. I'm with you on that one: I'd prefer not to have them, but they are almost a necessity on light colors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
The wheels are awesome!

And I really like the OEM splash guards. They look much better than the splash guards that Ford designed for the 2001-2007 Escapes.

:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squishy said:
Powerslot is still doing their slots right to the edge, eh? I don't like that at all; puts too much stress out to the edge and can lead to cracked rotors. Proper slots should be chamfered and end before the edge. KVR does good work using Brembo blanks, but they're pricey and on the other side of the country.

Did Powerslot tell you to install the rotors that way? Most companies say to install the rotors the other way around, with the slots scraping the pad from the outside in. :D
So far on all the track cars we service at the shop, run personally, or field (including our rally car), we have not encountered any cracking with slotted rotors from either Power Slot or Brembo. We have had cracking on rotors used for track applications that were cross drilled (regardless of brand) due to the heat risers created around the holes. Most Power Slot rotors made for the European applications use Brembo blanks whereas many of the domestic applications are now manufactured by Centric which is Power Slot and Stoptech's parent company (Brembo uses their own blanks for both their drilled and slotted brake rotor lines).

As for the direction of the slots and how they are oriented, there seems to be no definitive direction as we deal with a few different manufacturers of slotted rotors (Power Slot, Brembo & Wilwood) who dictate which direction the rotor is to turn mainly by the design of the vanes which run between the inner and outer friction surfaces of the rotor. Wilwood actually has some rotors with slotting patterns that oppose each other (on the same side of the rotor) in their GT and HPS lines of brake rotors. All are labelled at the factory as to which direction to mount, but again how the design appears visually does not seem to be as important as to how the rotor cooling vanes draw the heated air away from the center of the rotor to the outer circumference.

While totally not necessary for the Escape and the duties that it carries out for my family, there is still a bit of fun putting something onto a car that looks cool. I know that I will not push the Escape to the edge of its handling capabilities (a bit more limited than I am used to), but when a supplier is willing to grant you a favor for being a long time customer I am a sucker to always accept their kindness. The Escape is a practical vehicle for the day to day movements of my wife and kids and an excercise for me to get to know a platform that I never thought I would entertain owning but enjoy greatly.

I have always appreciated the hard work others have poured into their vehicles regardless of the genre or marque because in the end it is the passion or joy that makes it all the more interesting. I am finding with the good folks here on Escape-City that there is alot of passion and joy, but more importantly a strong sense of community which makes me glad to be counted among its members.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
tajescape said:
I have always appreciated the hard work others have poured into their vehicles regardless of the genre or marque because in the end it is the passion or joy that makes it all the more interesting. I am finding with the good folks here on Escape-City that there is alot of passion and joy, but more importantly a strong sense of community which makes me glad to be counted among its members.
:clap:

And we're privileged to have you with us as well. Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,571 Posts
jpark said:
tajescape said:
I have always appreciated the hard work others have poured into their vehicles regardless of the genre or marque because in the end it is the passion or joy that makes it all the more interesting. I am finding with the good folks here on Escape-City that there is alot of passion and joy, but more importantly a strong sense of community which makes me glad to be counted among its members.
:clap:

And we're privileged to have you with us as well. Thanks!
Ditto !!! :clap:

You just put a very big smile on my face !! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Cross-drilled rotors are the bane of my existence. :D I've seen one cracked slotted rotor as opposed to 15 or so cracked cross-drilled rotors. The cracked slotted rotor was slotted to the edge, but it was near the end of its life with the slots almost worn down. That might be when the added stress makes a difference, so you can probably avoid trouble if you're good with maintenance and don't beat the *** out of your brakes.

You're right about the vanes, though I don't know if anyone makes rotors for the Escape with directional vanes. I thought I remembered both Brembo and KVR telling me to install my slotted rotors the other way around, even with non-directional vanes. There is a tiny force imparted by the slots which slightly pulls the pads inwards or outwards (outwards in your orientation) and in the very worst case (cheap pads that don't fit well, loose retention spring, everything else coming together to make your life miserable), that tiny force outwards might dislodge a pad.

How do Centric blanks compare to Brembo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Squishy said:
Cross-drilled rotors are the bane of my existence. :D I've seen one cracked slotted rotor as opposed to 15 or so cracked cross-drilled rotors. The cracked slotted rotor was slotted to the edge, but it was near the end of its life with the slots almost worn down. That might be when the added stress makes a difference, so you can probably avoid trouble if you're good with maintenance and don't beat the *** out of your brakes.

You're right about the vanes, though I don't know if anyone makes rotors for the Escape with directional vanes. I thought I remembered both Brembo and KVR telling me to install my slotted rotors the other way around, even with non-directional vanes. There is a tiny force imparted by the slots which slightly pulls the pads inwards or outwards (outwards in your orientation) and in the very worst case (cheap pads that don't fit well, loose retention spring, everything else coming together to make your life miserable), that tiny force outwards might dislodge a pad.

How do Centric blanks compare to Brembo?
With slotted rotors it is almost an expectation that there will be a bit of pad movement caused by the slots as like you had noted the slot will either cause the pad to ride up, down or even side to side (the latter is more associated with pad backings that are not perfectly stamped). Another side effect of slotted or even drilled rotors is the feedback felt through the brake pedal due to the patterns on the friction surface. While the sensation is subtle, it is still a present but minor drawback for the "cool" factor of having a fancier brake rotor peeking from behind the wheels. For most people with vehicles that rarely or never see track duties the slotting is also a benefit if heavy rains are common because the slots help break the surface tension of the water built up on the rotors friction surface during heavy rain coupled with highway driving (most noticeable when coming off of the highway in heavy rain - braking is a bit more positive).

The quality of the Centric rotors vs Brembo seems to be on par as I have not encountered any complaints beyond the person who decides to wash their wheels while the brakes are still hot which invariably leads to warped rotors (no brake rotor is immune to this situation). Both brands seem to maintain minimal runout through their service lives (especially the Cryogenically treated Power Slot / Centric rotors). Often times it is availability that dictates which rotor I recommend to a customer, but price point also plays a part as Power Slot tends to be a bit more reasonably priced on most applications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Colleen said:
jpark said:
tajescape said:
I have always appreciated the hard work others have poured into their vehicles regardless of the genre or marque because in the end it is the passion or joy that makes it all the more interesting. I am finding with the good folks here on Escape-City that there is alot of passion and joy, but more importantly a strong sense of community which makes me glad to be counted among its members.
:clap:

And we're privileged to have you with us as well. Thanks!
Ditto !!! :clap:

You just put a very big smile on my face !! :)
Coming from my observations of the Volkswagen and Audi forums (mainly work related), there is definitely a more hospitable atmosphere here. I know that in every group there will be some who like to rustle things up a bit, but there is definitely a more respectful and inviting feel at Escape City. Reading many of the posts between members it reminds me very much of my travels along the southern east coast of the US where it seems people are more than eager to help others whether they know them or not. The good thing is that hospitality is not a regional disposition, and can be contagious.

Thanks for being a great crowd!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
tajescape said:
I have always appreciated the hard work others have poured into their vehicles regardless of the genre or marque because in the end it is the passion or joy that makes it all the more interesting. I am finding with the good folks here on Escape-City that there is alot of passion and joy, but more importantly a strong sense of community which makes me glad to be counted among its members.
You sir..........................................deserve a fine chilled beverage.
Cheers to you.
:beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff M said:
Hey Taje, do you have a part number for the flaps. I want to make sure I order the exact same ones you got.
Hello Jeff,

The front mud flaps are part# SK8L8J-16D576-AA
The rear mud flaps are part # SK8L8J-16D576-BA (decided not to use these because I was not too keen on how they made the back of the Escape look)

I hope this helps in your search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,824 Posts
:popcorn: What a cool discussion..Learn new interesting things here every day.... :clap: :peace:
even if it was 2 yrs ago.....lol :lol:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top