Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AH!

Around 10:30 PM last night, I was bringing a friend who had visited me at my new apartment back home and, less than a mile from my apartment, someone driving the opposite direction threw an egg at my car! :censor: :censor:

I called the police, who said that they couldn't do much for me if there wasn't severe damage (seriously, it's an egg, and it's dark! But I quickly went back and rinsed the car down in the washing station in the garage... didn't see anything. Brought my friend home, got home, washed and waxed the car, somehow missing the damage... couldn't fall asleep (might also be because of the cute girl I met at Best Buy, but that's another story), went to look at the car...

...and there's a 3/4th oval ring of where the egg took out some paint right above the rear left passenger door.

:censor:

To add insult to injury, the fragments of the egg resulting from the impact left some scratches along the side of the roof of my car.

:cuss:

Seriously! who does this s :censor: these days anyway? I really hope whoever threw the egg gets what she/he deserves... sure lucky that I didn't pull a quick U-ie and chase after them like a police officer. (the divider is only four or so inches tall and less than three feet across).

Thanks for hearing me out. I have to file a police report on Monday...

This is the third 'hit and run' I've had with this car. The first was some renegade shopping cart (and of course, when I looked around after I got back to my car and saw the dent, there's not a cart for at least 40 feet) that put a dent in the lower end of my fender... the second was some (likely college student) driver who tried to squeeze between a left-turning car and my parked car with enough force to take out/shatter the left side-view mirror, knock the mirror housing backwards, and leave some nice scratches along the same fender with the shopping cart dent... then there's the paint missing on my rear bumper, on the left side (go figure)...

Might be time to get some other Ford... :lol: I'm just tired of getting screwed by random people and random things happening with the Escape. I love it to death, but it's just driving me mad. Maybe I will have second thoughts about what I just said in the morning... blah!

If you read all that... thanks for your time. Maybe you have some silly way to relate.. I just needed to vent somewhere and Facebook wasn't the right place for it... not with what else has gone on anyway (a break-up)...

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
Tang,

Sorry to hear about your egg incident. Some moron threw (and hit) my previous car so I definately know how you feel.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Wow, Tang, so sorry to hear about this! :( What comes around DOES go around and they will eventually get what they deserve. Probably some kid who I hope they eventually catch. I hope that you can get the damage repaired.

And Stone, I agree that there are negative people in this world who get their kicks out of doing negative things to others and choose to focus on the negative instead of the positive. That is a shame and it is these same people that wonder why life does not go their way. :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses... 2-3 hours later... I've calmed down a bit. I think I'm just going to use touch up paint and bear the tackiness. Thanks for the support... and, again, in a humorous way, it's all on the left side...

·
Registered
87 Posts
A light polishing compound should take care of that, unless gray or metal is showing the damage is just in the clearcoat. If you can rub the scratches with a wet finger and they go away then it's a clearcoat scratch and doesn't need touchup paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At least you didn't get a watermellon in your face. All kidding aside, there are people out there that don't give a crap about other peoples property, whether it be cars, houses or anything else we work hard for. Personally, I think I would have jumped the curb and at least got a license tag. Perhaps your comprehensive insurance will cover to have it made like new. Usually that part of the policy holds a $0 deductible.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's bare metal showing, unfortunately. Some touch-up paint will have to do for now.

The next time it happens, I'm jumping the curb.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
SOOOO WRONG!!! :censor: How can people think doing something like that is funny??
Sorry to hear about this!! :(

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Tang, face it. No matter what you drive or who you are someone out there is going to screw you over either meaning too or just out of sure fire being STUPID. Some times no matter what we say or do we get the short end of the stick. Good Luck :shades: :lightning:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My old car got hit by an egg on Cabbage\Mischief Night (the night before Halloween). It didn't scratch my car but it was low on the passenger side so I didn't see it right away. By the time I noticed it and washed it off, it had discolored the paint. I've also had batteries (2x) and sock full of marbles thrown at me (not my car). Like others have said, some people just enjoy hurting others. I don't get it and I hope they do get what's coming to them. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you (or anyone) anymore...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Tang, look into a Brush guard, I swear you get a lot more respect from other drivers when they know, should you choose to run their butt down, it's not going to hurt you as bad as it will them. :lol: (I know, never happen in real life, but fun to think about. :calvin: )

Hate to hear about your unfortunate incident, hope you get it touched up without any issues.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hadn't thought of it, mostly because I'm not sure how it would look against the blue (and chrome)... might be kinda tacky. I was thinking of going for either a higher body or bigger wheels... or both. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Alex! Like everyone else has said, I have no respect for people who can't respect the property of other people.

:rant:

Anyway, while this may sound like a weird suggestion, it works VERY well for very small chips or scratches that don't go down to bare metal: a crayon.

First, clean the area (already done in your case). Then find the same color crayon and gently rub it into the chipped or scratched area until it's filled. Carefully wax the area, and repeat if the wax leaves white areas that can't be removed by buffing.

It's a lot less noticeable than trying to do this with touch-up paint, and, depending on how the light hits the damaged area, you may not notice the damage at all.

HTH! I also mentioned this to rehctelf.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you... I insist...I dont get why ppl would find any of this funny. :mad:

I can relate totally...driving back from my farm, at about 10pm, my friend got a beer bottle thrown at his car ( i was in the back), fortunately...(it was a miracle) the bottom of the bottle hit the metal piece between the the front windshield and the drivers window (which he had open)and the bottle didn't broke. I say it was a miracle, because driving a canyon road, at about 50mph, if the bottle had hitted the windshield or my friend, or had shattered, it could've been a completely different story.

Today, he still has his car (renault Clio) with the bottle scar...its starting to rust tho...

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Repair estimate: $720 with tax (with only $40 in parts according to the paper, go figure)

I also have a mysterious rock chip on my rear left wheel. Not sure how it got there, but I'm sure it's a separate incident.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts