Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Escape City is becoming Escape City / Kuga City!

Ford is still keeping a lid on its plans to replace the current Escape, but recent Ford announcements seem to point to the Kuga. Ford hasn't commented on whether they'll keep the Escape and Mariner names, but they may. Here are the facts and rumors:

* Production of the current Explorer will soon end at Ford's Louisville, KY assembly plant, and production of the the new unibody Explorer will start at the Chicago, IL assembly plant in 2011. This leaves the Louisville plant vacant, but not for long.
* Production of the Kuga is rumored to start in the Louisville plant in 2011, and Ford is stopping Kuga production at the Saarlouis assembly plant in Germany. So the worldwide supply of the Kuga will originate from the Louisville assembly plant.
* Rumors exist that the current Escape platform will end production at the Claycomo, MO assembly plant with the 2011 model year, which will coincide with the introduction of the Kuga from Louisville.
* Even if Ford keeps the Escape name for the Kuga in North America, the Kuga name is rumored to stay in place for existing Kuga markets. Either way, it looks like the current Escape will be replaced by the Kuga, probably for the 2012 model year.

So, I've reserved http://www.kuga-city.com, which now points here. I'll keep both domain names active, and I'm going to change the graphics soon.

None of this will stop me from ordering a 2010 Escape, which I'll probably have sometime in the next few months.

:D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case you've never seen a Kuga, here are a few pictures of it. It's been on sale for a few years in Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia.

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /kuga1.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /kuga2.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /kuga3.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... /kuga4.jpg

Here's a comparison of dimensions (sorry about the gap here):
Exterior2010 Ford Escape2010 Ford Kuga
Wheelbase103.1105.9
Length174.7174.9
Width71.172.5
Height67.867.3
Ground clearance8.47.4
Front track60.762.0
Rear track60.262.4
Turning circle36.7 feet37.7 feet
Interior2010 Ford Escape2010 Ford Kuga
Front headroom40.439.7
Front legroom41.641.6
Rear headroom39.238.9
Rear legroom35.637.4
Front shoulder room56.656.0
Rear shoulder room55.954.9
Cargo volume (seats up)29.212.7
Cargo volume (seats down)66.347.9

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
And here is the Kuga that stars on ITV's Emmerdale tv programme.... :)P

Notice the proper 4X4 in the background............... :thumb:

Interior shot with the steering wheel on the correct side of the car..... :box:

I still think the Kuga is a poor replacement for the Maverick, whilst the dimensions may be approx the same, the Kuga feels to be a much smaller car inside.........

·
Registered
322 Posts
I agree, it's an OK looking vehicle, looks like many other CUV's all ready out there! But I love my Escape, shape & size! It's allready a tight squeze in the cargo area now, cut that volume in 1/2 might as well get a smart car! kidding, about Smart, the Pop Mech comp I saw it was a lame excuse for a gas sipper; longer stopping distance, slower, much less cargo room, and to get what was it, 28-30mpg?! really!

W/o and Escape, I don't know what I'd buy. No need for a larger Explorer or Expedition, but I need height, and ground clearance!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I still don't like the idea of going from the current Escape look to the "seen one seen 'em all" look of the CUV market today. It's nice looking yes, but there's not enough to set it apart.

Long live the Escape! :rockon:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Escape has been the last of it's kind for a while now. Glad I got a 2010 as the new look does not appeal to me as much, though the Kuga does look Beefier than most crossovers, it still does not say "Capable" to me the way the escape does.

CRV:

Tiguan:

Rav 4

Kuga

The escape just doesn't fit the mold anymore.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
megascape said:
All I can say is "Ford please bring back a solid frame BRONCO with real 4X4.......!"
Ditto, first vehicle I drove was a 1966 Bronco. I'd love to see a vehicle similar to an Escape that still retains some off road ability that the Bronco has.

As for this Kuga, it looks like everything I wasn't that fond of in an Escape was used as a base line and then made worse from there. Ground clearance went down, turning circle up, looks like interior room took a dive as well. It looks kind of neat I guess, but that's not my kind of style, to me it's no replacement to an Escape. I'm not impressed, but hey, maybe I can find a good used Escape to upgrade to.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Fusion would respectfully disagree.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The reason i purchased an escape in the first place was that it stood out in the small suv/cuv market. To me the Kuga looks like a Rav4. Guess i'm in the minority that the current design looks better then the Kuga. I'm like others, dont know what my next vehicle purchase will be but i know it wont be a Kuga.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Kuga has been on sale here for over a year now, the launch was somewhat "hyped" up, and dealers told prospective customers (me included) that demand was going to outstrip supply, due to there only being a limited number of the things coming to Britain.

Guess what, 1 year on, Ford cannot sell the things, despite huge cuts to the sale price, freebie demo cars loaned to TV companies as product placement etc,indeed I was offered one at £4000.00 below list price (not including scrappage allowance).

Yep, yet another unloved (unwanted??) Ford 4X4 cluttering up dealership forecourts, as those with any sense have gone to buy a Landrover Freelander2, or even that new Mazda 4X4, surely Ford would have learnt their lesson after the Maverick2 debarcle, obviously not, it seems.

Now you guy's are going to get it, wow, what an improvement over the Escape (NOT!!), basically its all :stifle: :barf: )style over substance....

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Wouldn't it just be easier to get emtk-city?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I mean, I'd take one black, and then murder it out

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow. They took all the things I didn't like about the CUV's that I chose not to buy when I was shopping last year, and called it a Kuga! :doh:

Congrats on the domain though. It's nice to find one that matches the *-city theme.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yikes. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

I love the Escape, too. I'm ordering one in a few months. But there are several things about the Escape that I wish they had changed with the 2008 makeover, such as a new roof and windshield, a roof-mounted antenna, an integrated rear spoiler...

BTW, the Kuga topped the UK's 4x4 sales charts in at least one month last year.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009 ... 75072.html

And to say that the Kuga looks like a RAV4 is an insult to the Kuga. Nothing looks as bad as the RAV4's rear end (accelerator pedal jokes aside).

:barf:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
jpark said:
Yikes. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

BTW, the Kuga topped the UK's 4x4 sales charts in at least one month last year.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009 ... 75072.html

:barf:
Aha, well spotted, yep that sales figure is a little, well, controversial to say the least.

Very funny that the "sales " figure was up in the month before the new Registration Number came out, and a lot of UK Ford dealers are doing very good deals on "Pre Registered, dealer owned" Kuga's......

UK sales figures are collated by the number of new cars registered each month by dealers/manufacturers, NOT on actual cars sold to Mr Bloggs etc, as you would expect...

Ford, along with Vauxhall, are the main culprits of this practice, esp with poor selling or end of line cars, I would imagine that the same happens elsewhere....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts