Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have about 15k on the Escape. I like doing my own service and maintenance and have already changed the oil twice. I'm quite handy when it comes to autos. I am having a small issue with a squeak somewhere. It seems to only squeak when the escape is cold and only in reverse while applying the brake. I just put the snows on and did the usual inspection, could see nothing out of the ordinary. However it still squeaks. Any TSBs on this or ideas ? I will take it in if I have to however if something simple I will fix on my own. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Is it when you put it in reverse, move in reverese and then put the brake on then it squeaks as soon as the brake is applied. Or is it when you that has been done and you are stopped and the brakes are applied that the sound comes out??? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oskerb said:
Is it when you put it in reverse, move in reverese and then put the brake on then it squeaks as soon as the brake is applied. Or is it when you that has been done and you are stopped and the brakes are applied that the sound comes out??? :confused:
Good question, should have been more specific. I am moving in reverse and when I apply the brake I get the squeak that persists until I come to a complete stop. When I start moving again in reverse and apply the brake again the squeak happens again until I come to a stop. Once it's all warmed up it dosen't seem to do it anymore. I also makes no noise while moving forward and applying the brake. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi TrueEscapeInRed,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I can understand how a noise like that can be a huge pain. I would like to try and see if there's any information I can find. If you send me your VIN in a private message, I can document the concern and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Cory
Ford Customer Service Division

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, can't be 100% sure. But I'm almost willing to bet it's brake squeal. Could be not enough anti-squeal compound put on the back of the brake pads, or maybe the anti-rattle clip needs to be seated a little more, or just the brake material. Mention the squeal to your service adviser next time you're in for it's scheduled maint.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Manic Mechanic said:
Could be the tabs on the rear shoes squealing against the anchor (backing) plate.
That doesn't sound like the OP's problem to me. I have that issue. I get a noise only when I press and/or release my brake. Once the brake is fully pressed (or released), there is no sound. It also doesn't matter if I'm moving or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manic Mechanic said:
Could be the tabs on the rear shoes squealing against the anchor (backing) plate.

The tabs made require a little lube where they meet the anchor plate.

Thanks for the replay, that's a good suggestion however the noise is definitely coming from up front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RobtRoma said:
Manic Mechanic said:
That doesn't sound like the OP's problem to me. I have that issue. I get a noise only when I press and/or release my brake. Once the brake is fully pressed (or released), there is no sound. It also doesn't matter if I'm moving or not.
That sounds like the brake pedal to me, perhaps put some oil on the pivot point and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Four_Eyes said:
Well, can't be 100% sure. But I'm almost willing to bet it's brake squeal. Could be not enough anti-squeal compound put on the back of the brake pads, or maybe the anti-rattle clip needs to be seated a little more, or just the brake material. Mention the squeal to your service adviser next time you're in for it's scheduled maint.
I tend to agree since it really seems like it must be front brake related. I think I will pull the front calipers and check the anti-rattle clips before taking it in. Thanks for the reply.......

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
TrueEscapeInRed said:
RobtRoma said:
Manic Mechanic said:
That sounds like the brake pedal to me, perhaps put some oil on the pivot point and see if that helps.
My problem is definitely the backing plate. I had it greased once and the sound went away. It came back a few months later because they used a cheap grease. Someone on this (or a different) board recommended something specific. I can't remember where or when I saw it though. I wish I had written it down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts