Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the next installment of my dealer service reminder/coupon book. I love getting these. While some of them are good like $38.95 for Oil/Filter change, tire rotation, multi-point inspection, car wash and a sandwich (dealer is HUGE), I have to laugh at others. A few examples:

6,000 mile service:
- Lube, Oil and Filter change
- Visual Safety Inspection
- Top off all fluids
- Set Tire Pressure
- Tire rotation
- Car Wash

Cost $49.95

So what is the difference from the other coupon for $38.95? $11 to check fluids and tire pressure? Haha.

30,000 mile service:
- Everything in 6,000 mile service plus
- Brake Inspection
- Test Battery
- Balance tires (in addition to rotating)
- Replace fuel filter
- Replace air filter
- Tranny fluid flush
- Coolant flush
- Power Steering Flush *
- Belt Inspection

Cost $ 565.00 :hyst:
* Obviously not needed for 2009/2010 Escapes.

I love looking at these things. Of course someday I will have to actually pay for something. But for now I am enjoying it...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Having worked in a dealership service department for years before heading into the wonderful world of education, I can tell you that most of those services are B.S. and just revenue generators - at least if you are someone who is remotely interested and somewhat knowlegable about cars.

Go a la carte - always - in other words, specifiy an oil change, a power steering flush, etc seperately. You don't need to pay for a belt inspection ,or a brake inspection for that matter (brakes should be serviced regularly and don't really need "inspecting" if you are servicing them at frequent intervals). Exhausts don't need inspecting either - if they get noisy, replace them. Just a cash grab.

"Test Battery" is a simple one - if your car starts when they pull it into the shop, the battery is fine. I don't think I ever saw an actual load test done on a battery unless there was a charging / battery related issue indicated on the work order.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I hear ya!. I think the battery check is nothing more than popping the hood, looking at the battery, seeing a "green" light and calling it done. Plus my dealer performs a multiple inspection on every oil change. I get the same printed report each time. So looking at the 30,000 mile check you are paying over $500 for a new fuel filter, air filter, tranny flush and coolant flush. :bang:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.