Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a lady I work with came up to me very excited last week. She had just purchased brand new hyundai Sonata.

Details aside, she made her deal and placed her order on a dealer locate. They called her 3 days later and told her they can't find her specific color.
She said that color or no deal. They said they will keep looking.

They called her back.. and get this.. Told her they need an additional $4000 from her so that they can PAINT one her color.

PAINT A NEW CAR??

It gets better.. they didn't want to her deposit back. It took a call from her lawyer to get her money back.

Can you believe that? Thank god for FORD!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Well... you can't blame the manufacturer for that. That is an issue with a really, reeeeaaly bad dealership. She should definitely call and write Hyundai of North America and complain about those guys.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looked at Hyundai last time I was car shopping. Just looked of course, the service was so lousy at the local dealer I didn't bother sticking around for a test drive.
A dealer tells me the can't get a new vehicle the way I want it, I'm thinking they just can't be bothered, surely like every other manufacturer they can submit a factory order and get the options you want without modifying an existing vehicle.
If I'm going to spend my money on a brand new car, it's going to be a car that I like, not the one the dealer thinks I should like.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Over here, Hyundai dealers bend over backwards to help customers, but Ford dealers are noted for being, well lets just say "unhelpfull".

Here in Leeds, my local Ford dealer is now also an agent for both Hyundai and Kia cars (essentially they are the same company), and whilst they are all in the same showroom, customer care is far superior at the Hyundai/Kia end.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Over here, Hyundai dealers bend over backwards to help customers, but Ford dealers are noted for being, well lets just say "unhelpfull".

Here in Leeds, my local Ford dealer is now also an agent for both Hyundai and Kia cars (essentially they are the same company), and whilst they are all in the same showroom, customer care is far superior at the Hyundai/Kia end.
Same here at our local dealer, Ford and Hyundai have great service and I've never had problems with the sales department. i've had 3, each with no vehicle or dealer issues, each getting over 175,000 before selling them. It's the only other dealer besides Ford I feel good about purchasing a new vehicle from.I just wish they were a domestic company........

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think that's a dealer issue, not a Hyundai issue. I have several friends with Hyundais, and they absolutely love them. Remind me of Honda owners - they just keep upgrading to another Hyundai.

Not for me, but I'd rather buy a Hyundai right now than a Toyota!

·
Registered
67 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Well... you can't blame the manufacturer for that. That is an issue with a really, reeeeaaly bad dealership. She should definitely call and write Hyundai of North America and complain about those guys.
Agreed its all the dealer on that one.

Hyundai is really stepping it up with their current offerings the 2011 Sonata looks to be fantastic for the pricepoint, the genesis coupe and sedan look to be the same. Good for them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I owned two Hyundais and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I had a 2002 Accent that I barrel rolled three times at 60 mph and WALKED AWAY FROM THE CRASH. I also owned a 2004 Elantra which was a pretty good car. The sales department at the dealership (Moon Township Hyundai) was wonderful, I liked them so much the first time that I bought a second car from them when my first one got totaled. Service was hit and miss, some things they were great at, some things they were shady at. All in all, Hyundai Motor America was good to me and I may look to them in the future when I need to replace one of my automobiles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my post was titled "Another" reason... here are the first 2 reasons:

1) My ex bought a new Accent in 1999. Within 1000km it developed a sick tranny (manual). The car would get stuck between gears on the highway. When towed to the dealer they would "not be able to reproduce". The car was towed to the dealer 7 times with the same issue. 413 kms out of warranty the tranny grenaded on the highway. The mechanic who inspected the tranny said it was assembled wrong at the factory. The service manager agreeded. The Regional Service Manager also agreed. Long story short, she ended up having to pay $3000 for a new tranny.

2) The girl who lives in my basement has an Elantra. 3000kms left on warranty she starts to complain about a loud noise under the hood. The mechanics "can't find where it is coming from". They replace a couple of small things under the hood. Pulleys and stuff. The noise is still there. 5visits later they can't find the noise. 389 kms out of warranty the car is towed in with a blown air conditioning compressor. They would not cover the repair.

I won't SIT in a hyundai never mind buy one. The cars may be good, but their after-service sucks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Like mentioned above, for the price point the Hyundia isn't a bad set of wheels. What the dealer was offering was something she was insistent upon, imo. He just wanted to get her what she wanted through accomodation. Besides, we don't know what she the customer, was putting him through. It could have been his way of showing her the door out of his facility and down the road.

Back in 05, when the newer Mustang chassis was released. Ford painted lots of Mustangs yellow and offered them to dealerships in the midwest. Several of these dealers failed :shock: and the yellow Mustangs were bought up by a dealership in OKC. While I was in OKC for some advanced hardware training on a new system the FAA was fielding, I spent an evening at one of those dealerships looking at the yellow Mustangs. I just couldn't imagine myself in one. I mean, it's okay for someone else to own a yellow Mustang :yes: . But it's not me :shrug: . Something about wanting to stay married intered into the thought process :blush: . The dealership offered to paint it any color I wanted, if, I bought any of the yellow Mustangs he had in stock. No extra charge, in fact, it was discounted heavily. Hmmm. I almost went for it :angel: , but my concern that the paint would delaminate and expose that yellow :worry: killed the deal for sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.