Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had trucks for the last 20 or so years (all Dodges), I decided it time for a change - especially since the last two Dakotas both met grisly deaths. I came across this (2008 Escape Limited) sitting on the showroom floor of a local Mercury dealer and that was it. It just seemed right, and I'm glad I grabbed it. What really amazes me about this vehicle is that for the first time in years, I actually feel like I'm driving something that the engineers put some thought into - and it's the little things, small attentions to design detail that have me thinking "man, that is really a good idea!"
Since all my trucks have been 4WD, I wasn't ready to give it up with a new car, and I was a little unsettled at first about this "new-fangled" Intelligent 4WD stuff - especially since I couldn't manually control it, and there seems to be no dash indicator to tell when it engaged.
I have about an acre where I live and I decided to take it over the hill in my back yard. It's mostly grass but there's about a 15• descent.
I took it down there yesterday following a light rain and it climbed right back out without the slightest wheel spin, no turfing anywhere. Impressive.
Added so far:
AutoVentShade Vent Visors
Ford Hood Deflector (I liked the low-profile look)
Ford cargo cover
U-Haul Class 3 hitch (for a new American 1460MG 4x6 mesh trailer - toy hauler)
PepBoys cargo organizer
Husky WeatherBeaters
Ford PremierCare ESP - 5 years, 60,000 miles
..next up, a remote starter before winter. (I've had these for years and now I can't live without it.)

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Looking good!!! Thanks for the pics and enjoy your time in the City!! :beer:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
johnnymossville said:
Congrats on a great looking Escape! Love the Color! Do I see a STEELERS helmet on the back there? I'm a life-long Steelers fan myself.
yup, plus the now obligatory Penguins magnet :wave:
Go Pens!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kkreit01 said:
Looks very nice! Congrats on your new purchase. Thanks for posting pics of the bug shield. I've been wanting to get one for mine.
A word or warning... both the dealer and the Ford Accessories website claimed this would be a "no-drill" installation, which I assumed meant tape or at the very least that it made use of existing holes.
It isn't. I had to drill 6 holes.

The good news is that it's an extremely well made and very snug fitting unit. It even came with a "center" mark notched in the plastic that helped to line it up before I marked the holes. I just took my time, used a center punch, started with a small bit then a larger one, I even applied a little primer and then a dab of silicon caulk to each hole before inserting the screws. The included hardware was top-notch.
I was even able to reattach the "gasket" thingie under the front edge of the hood once the bug shield was installed - I had to remove it to install the bug shield, but it popped right back on since the shield didn't interfere with any of the original holes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
^ Thanks for the info. That stinks. All previous Ford ones have been snap-on (for the lack of better term) in 5 minutes. In that case, I may go aftermarket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kkreit01 said:
^ Thanks for the info. That stinks. All previous Ford ones have been snap-on (for the lack of better term) in 5 minutes. In that case, I may go aftermarket.
I didn't mean to discourage you, after all it still is a fantastic shield and first rate quality - and the price is -very- competitive. It's just going to take a little more effort than they said it would. Besides, I really like the low profile look compared to the aftermarkets - the AVS bug shield looked like a boat sail by comparison IMO. Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase.
I've bought several AVS shields for trucks and minivans in the past, and they always seemed to be unevenly shaped, with substandard hardware and generally flimsy. I have one right now on a Caravan that broke a mounting tab the very first time I closed the hood. And to this day, I need two people to open the hood, one to press down on it while the other hits the release. IOW, It's a jammed fit. Not good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're the Lund "In-Channel" Ventvisors, but they still use tape on the "outside" edge.
I watched as the installer just peeled back about 1 inch of tape, slid them into position, then pulled the rest of the tape off.
I think these are much better looking than the traditional stick-on jobs, and they don't interfere with the window operation at all - and they'll probably stay in place longer too. I've had the stick-ons lose their adhesion over time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks NICE. That color looks really nice on the escapes, very clean and classy looking I think.

Just loose the Steelers Sticker and things are good ! LOL

Im still reasearching those vent visors, im 50/50 I love the look of the inchannel ones but people say they dont stay especially in the cold climates and are hard on the power window motors. DO the windows really push or rub against the visors when you do them up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nicker22 said:
Im still researching those vent visors, im 50/50 I love the look of the inchannel ones but people say they dont stay especially in the cold climates and are hard on the power window motors. DO the windows really push or rub against the visors when you do them up?
I can't imagine why they wouldn't stay in cold weather, they use the same sticky tape as the others, just on the outside instead of the inside. Besides, just by being IN the channel I'd have to say they'll probably stay even better. But I only got the VentShades this spring and they haven't seen a winter yet. :shrug:
As for interfering with the windows, not one bit. zero. I could see maybe if they weren't installed properly there might be a problem, but none here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
johnm356 said:
..next up, a remote starter before winter. (I've had these for years and now I can't live without it.)
I could not live without a remote starter too! All my previous cars had a remote, it's necessary here in winter to warm up the car a bit before going for a drive.

I ordered my Escape with a factory ford remote starter and am quite happy with it.

Pat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.