Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I just discovered this site after weeks of searching for a decent Mercury forum. I bought a used '09 Mariner back in mid-February. I'm new to this forum but not new to forums in general so I hope I don't get lashed for asking questions that have been asked a thousand times. I love my Mariner but a couple of things that I have noticed is the shifting doesn't seem too smooth and the steering feels loose. The latter may be me just used to the steering of my previous vehicle but have any other Mariner owners had problems with their transmissions? Thanks and it's great to be here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome!

To me, the electric steering feels a little too light. It is very different than our 2006 F150 and my 2005 Mustang (which was traded for the Escape). I'm not sure what you mean by loose...it takes little effort to steer mine. Or, do you mean that you have to move the wheel more than expected for the wheels to respond?

Regarding the transmission, My 1-2 and 2-3 shift are a little stiff first thing in the morning; however, that goes away once he is warmed up.

Good luck!

:welcome:

·
Registered
420 Posts
welcome and dont worry about asking a common question, someone will prolly reply with a link to the appropiate thread.

here is one place to start reading
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=428&p=6964&hilit=shift+problem#p6964

i typed shift problem into the search area to find thread

enjoy ur mariner

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Welcome to the city. Don't worry about asking the same questions here. The only thing you'll have to worry about is Colleen or Dasha nagging you for pictures! :beer: :lol:
But, I will say:
:pics:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I am on travel for a couple of months and my Mariner is back home under a car cover :worry: When I get back I plan on getting new wheels and tires and will post lots of pics. Hey speaking of wheels I have it narrowed down to four I think. Tell me which ones you all like the best.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!!!

BTW, there are two things that you can do to solve the shift issues.

First, disconnect the battery and reconnect it about two minutes later. When you start driving it again, the transmission will re-learn your driving habits. If you bought the Mariner used, it already learned its shift patterns from the driving habits of the previous owner.

If you're still not happy about its shifting, or if you hear the engine RPMs rise sharply at some shift points, simply take your Mariner to the dealer and complain about the shifting. They can download the latest shift software for the PCM, then the transmission will re-learn your driving habits with the new software. Again, if you bought the Mariner used, it already learned its shift patterns from the driving habits of the previous owner, plus the fact that it probably has a very early version of the shift software.

There were two TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) released for this issue:

The first TSB, #09-14-7, was superceded by TSB #09-18-3.

Some 2009 Escape, Mariner, 2010 Fusion and Milan vehicles built on or before 8/2/2009 and equipped with an automatic transmission may exhibit harsh 3-1 or 2-1 rolling stop downshift or downshift hesitation during throttle tip-in/tip-out 3-4-2 downshift maneuver at vehicle speeds between 20-40 MPH (32-64 Km/h). Also may have 2-3 or 3-4 upshift flare during cold starts (engine off for 2 or more hours). There is a new calibration that will improve the transmission downshift maneuver under these conditions and also improve 2-3, 3-4 upshift flare when vehicle is cold.
Mention this to the dealer, and they shouldn't charge you for the upgrade.

If the steering feels "loose", grab each front wheel (while the car is parked, of course) and try to "turn" it. If you feel any free play, you may need new tie rod ends and/or lower ball joints. You shouldn't find this as a problem unless the car has relatively high mileage, but again, if this car is used, you may not know how it was treated by the previous owner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
"First, disconnect the battery and reconnect it about two minutes later. When you start driving it again, the transmission will re-learn your driving habits. If you bought the Mariner used, it already learned its shift patterns from the driving habits of the previous owner."

Does this apply to the 2005 escape?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yes, it should. My 2005 Escape (which was just like yours) had the adaptive transmission logic as well!

·
Registered
420 Posts
cool, gona try that, i dont have any shifting probs but may as well let it learn my driving habits. thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
BJM said:
Unfortunately I am on travel for a couple of months and my Mariner is back home under a car cover :worry: When I get back I plan on getting new wheels and tires and will post lots of pics. Hey speaking of wheels I have it narrowed down to four I think. Tell me which ones you all like the best.
https://qcjrfa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... FAC/SS.png
https://qcjrfa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... xMY/sg.png
https://qcjrfa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... _4l/sf.png
https://qcjrfa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1 ... Q9R/sd.png
Welcome to the City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:

I get a Windows Live login when I click the links. You might want to try PhotoBucket for your pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts