Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Any impressions on the Ford Freestyle?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stone 
#1 ·
I originally PM'd this question to JPark, and he agreed that we should open it up to the 'City. I'm looking for a vehicle for my wife, and since I already have an Escape we are looking for something different for her.

She has an Olds Intrigue, which is a pretty good car but its a little small now that we have a baby. We've started looking at the Ford Freestyle. It seems like a solid car with a LOT of space, and she liked it when we took one for a test drive. I'm a bit uncertain on whether we should get the AWD (we are in Rochester, NY, so it might be a good idea), and if its worth it to go for leather. We will probably have another kid during our time with this vehicle, so the easy-cleanup of the leather would be nice.

Do you have any impressions on this vehicle? Is the CVT something to be afraid of (repairs)? Some people have complained about it not being powerful enough on the highway.

Thanks! :thumb:

#2 ·
It's no a rocket, but then I drive a six cylinder F-150 built in 1994. It's fine on the highway, and is easily out accelerated by the Freestyle. So merging and passing shouldn't be too big of an issue. I don't have an issue, so a Freestyle shouldn't either.

CVTs are not something that I like in a car. I'm too used to the engine stepping through the gears. And as for the TV commercial with the couple waiting for her to put her makeup on after the car shifts, and it never does. Because it is a CVT Nissan is overstating the case. The engine will let you know what it's doing just the same, only differently.

I beleive that the tranny is built by Nissin (not Nissan) a Japanese supplier of transmissions. And they supply the CVT for the Ford and the Six (or is 5?) speed auto for the later sedans. I would look to Consumers Reports older editions for reliability reporting. Hundreds of people respond to those surveys. So, they have a bigger better database. It's allot of car for just two kids and a couple of adults.

Maybe an Edge would be better for size, better design, and better utility. New car, new car warranty, new car loan interest rates... Know what I mean?

#3 ·
We would love an Edge, but its out of our price range. We are looking at used Freestyles for around $13,000.

I don't think the Freestyle is too big at all. By the time you get the kids in there, two strollers, and all of the other crap it fills up pretty quick.

#5 ·
I don't personally have any experience with the Freestyle but here is a link to a Car & Driver review of an SEL AWD:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot ... _road_test

They say it goes to 60 in 8.2 seconds. That's not bad at all. Their big complaint is the noise the engine makes getting there. The CVT will rev the engine more than a regular transmission when to mash the gas. I drove an Escape Hybrid with the CVT at the Ford Hybrid Experience. The drive lasted a good 10-15 minutes and included a section of highway. I gunned it getting onto the highway and the noise didn't really bother me. Then again that was a 4 cyl and this is a 6 so the experience would be different.

As for the quality of the CVT... I haven't heard anything negative. They seem to be very reliable on the Escape Hybrid. I also found a site that mentions problem areas and the trans was not one of them. Here is the link to that site:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks. ... tyle-2.htm

That's what I found with a quick search. Good luck with whatever you do :)

#7 ·
jimmyv said:
Scooter Scott said:
How about another Escape? :yahoo:
I've thought about it, since they are dirt cheap at the auction right now. But she wants something that will do a little better on gas, and its a little more car-like.
Get a 2005 XLS and put low pro's on it and a lowering kit...problem solved :)

#8 ·
jimmyv said:
We would love an Edge, but its out of our price range. We are looking at used Freestyles for around $13,000.

I don't think the Freestyle is too big at all. By the time you get the kids in there, two strollers, and all of the other crap it fills up pretty quick.
I don't think your going to get significantly higher mileage with the Freestyle than an Escape/Tribute/Mariner. Used Freestyles are less expensive than similarly built cars. And they are cars, E/T/M are not so much car, more SUV. Budget was our reason for buying a Tribute as well. We have no strollers, but we do have a couple leashes! For puppy dogs... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.