Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Mariner (Escape) HYBIRD. No available units in the free world- used, rebuilit, new, otherwise. So the car is a brick until I can get the ABS Module replaced. Already found one place that said they "don't work on the hybrids". Emails out to several others at this point.

Anyone know a reputable firm that rebuilds the ABS Mod p/n AM68-2C219-AB ?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried ebay for a repair service? I use them from time to time for my repair shop. 2010 mariner hybrid abs module: Search Result | eBay
thanks for the reply. Tried a bunch of places. Most say they won't do the one from the hybrid for some reason. One says I can send it in, but I don't get the warm and fuzzies from them- I asked specifically if they're sure they can work on the hybrid and the reply was "call and give your credit card number:.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest using car-part dot com. I did a quick search, 2010 hybrid escape ...vin '3' and got two hits for a complete assembly.
Checked first for 'anti-lock pump' .. and it came back with 'assembly'.
and 'pump' as options, so I chose assembly.
YMMV
tom

Above translated: They are out there, you just have to look further.
Thanks for the reply. I've torn apart the internet. I've spoken to every one of the shops with a 2010 match on car-part. None actually have it. I have a 2009 on the way as a hail mary. Not sure if that will work or not or I'm just wasting my time.

Last night/this morning I used FORSCAN to test the maintenance procedures needed for replacement. First was a "ABS Service Bleed", which didn't complete successfully; however, it "fixed" the issue- the lights went away and the brakes functioned and normal. However, that only lasted for 3 or 4 engine starts (it only fails when first turning the car on). So I retried the ABS Service Bleed, and this time it completed successfully (took a few minutes and 4 or 5 cycles of press-and-hold of the brake pedal). Then this morning I saw an "ABS Reset" in the menu, so I did that. So far about a dozen restarts and no issues. Trying to decide whether I should just hold off on putting the 2009 in- maybe if it re-occurs the module reset will keep it running a bit. And in the meantime seeing if I can come up with an actual 2010 ABS Module for the hybrid (original part AM68-2C219-AB). I know the part # from memory now! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read the other post series. Seems like an ABS module on the way out is the culprit.
If you watch any mechanic stuff on YT, take a look at the Mazda ABS problem recently handled by 'Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics". He was able to use his bi-directional scan tool to operate the various valves in the hydraulic portion, and determine the cause of the squishy pedal.
I was going to answer his question as to why it worked the way it did, but have not taken the time yet.
Any way, it is instructive and may give you further food for thought.
Kind of disappointing to me that the car-part web site has bad-word information and is allowing it to be left up. Sorry for the misdirect.
tom
Thanks for that! That video was really interesting. I was especially intrigued by the part where he connected the new module electrically only and was able to program it. Since all I could find is a 2009 module (with my car being a 2010) I am still not sure whether the module will even program. So maybe I was wondering if I could just hook it up electrically and see if the programming "takes". I assumed without the hydraulics being connected it would just start throwing codes like crazy- but maybe that will be a relatively simple test without having to remove and re-install the brake lines into the replacement module.

I'm gonna hook up FORSCAN to see if I can do the valve control thing from there. That would be pretty cool. Although with my problem being intermittent, I'm not sure that will tell me anything now anyway. So far over a busy weekend no ABS issues- maybe the "Module Reset" was all it needed?

And as the video proves out- maybe the junkyard module will be worse than the current one anyway!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When changing the ABS unit, you may need a pressure bleeder attached to the master cylinder to complete the bleeding. Around 40-50 psi. ABS bleed without pressure bleeder - FORScan forum
Thanks! Thankfully for me, it looks like the nightmare that that person experienced was on a 2007. It looks like they've removed the actual brake bleeding from IDS for the 2010 (and I'm guessing 2008+). According to my service manual, it's more akin to the manual procedure now (albeit with a pressure unit required). And indeed, that function doesn't show up in FORScan either. The "ABS Service Bleed" is in there still. And based on youtube videos and actually doing it myself, this involves none of the actual bleeder valves- I think it's just to purge are from the ABS HCU. When I went through the procedure with FORScan, it had me press and hold and then release the brake pedal many times, but it made no mention of opening any bleeder valves, which the poster in that FORScan thread said it told him to do with his 2007.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And here's on of the youtubes showing the "ABS Service Bleed" on a 2009 albeit not with forscan but some sort of scan tool). The link should cue up the video to the proper event.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 05-08 Ford hybrids are very difficult to bleed when the ABS unit is replaced. You must have a pressure bleeder. Later years are less complex and a pressure bleeder is not mandatory, but recommended. I didn't want to scare you, just inform you.
Thanks. The shop doesn't have a pressure bleeder. The 2010 shop manual does say it's needed:

NOTE: Due to the complexity of the fluid path within the hybrid brake system, it is necessary to pressure
bleed this system.

The mechanic says he'll be able to do it, so I guess we'll find out! It's in there now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts