Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of xenon headlight bulbs blue 8000k and look pretty good but a little dissapointed in the brightness of them, maybe its the snow and they are the blue super white?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You won't get much brightness out of 8000K bulbs. The blue tint blocks light, so the bluer you go the less light you get.

HID bulbs are naturally blue, so they are not tinted.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what would the differance be between 8000k and 8500k? The higher up u go the whiter?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It's the other way around. With coated bulbs, the higher the number goes, the dimmer the bulb gets.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
8000K is the colour temperature, which has nothing to do with brightness per se. The higher you go, the bluer it gets and eventually it turns purple. I like something around 4500K.

The main reason that bulbs get dimmer as colour temperature goes up is because the bulb itself has to be tinted to achieve that temperature.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly.

And to compensate for the loss of brightness that dark coatings cause, some manufacturers increase the wattage, or they under-spec the voltage, so the bulbs have both higher heat and shorter lives. The cheaper bulbs will also shed their coatings inside your headlamp housings.

If you want blue, real HID is the only way to go. HID is an acronym for "high intensity discharge". Unless there's a real arc tube in the bulb, and not a filament, it's not HID.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i asume there is nothing for the 09's? What about the xenon bulbs and good brands rather then the kit?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've experimented with my fair share of different kinds of headlight bulbs, but listen to me. Don't waste you money on PIAA halogen bulbs or "fake" xenon bulbs, most aren't any better than you stock set. Save your money and get an HID kit. I paid $60 with shipping for mine, and I can't even describe how big of an improvement they are. If you do, go with a 4300K-5000K set. It takes a little bit of modification to your headlight housing to run the wires, but you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Syvania's SilverStar H13ST is the only H13 bulb that's both brighter and whiter than a stock H13 bulb. It also has a bit of a metal-halide-like blue and purple tint, but not much.

If you just want more light, Sylvania's Xtra-Vision H13XV puts out about 30% more light with no change in color.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can get kits that just plug and play, will they ruin any warranty on my vehicle?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
With Ford's newer headlamp circuits, you need to be very careful about which kit you buy.

First, most new Fords provide a pulsed, solid-state-driven, square-wave power source, rather than a steady +12V. E-mail the kit vendor and ask them if their kit works with this kind of power source. If they have no idea what you're talking about, don't buy their kit. This is very important, because the pulsed power will cause the cheaper kits to flicker or refuse to ignite at all. You could always wire a relay to provide power, but you'll get burned-out headlamp warnings in the message center.

Second, with the H13, the HID retrofit you're likely to buy will have one of three options: 1) you'll lose your high beams, 2) the high beam bulb is a small halogen bulb (usually a weak blue-coated bulb) with a really weak beam and bad aim, or 3) the HID capsule is surrounded by a two-position reflector moved by a small motor or solenoid. If you don't need or use your high beams, choice #1 is probably your best bet, because choices #2 and #3 are cheap, bad barn-jobs that either work poorly or won't work at all after two weeks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and where was your kit from?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i can get some cheaper but wanted to keep it in canada due to waranty reasons. Still on the brink between 6000 and 8000k lights?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
lilshimy36 said:
andjayik said:
here is the item, please let me know what u think?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0282776826
You'd be paying more than you need. My kit was $60 shipped, save yourself the money.
Your pre-2005 Escape supplies a solid 12V to the headlamps, via relays and switches.

2005 and newer Escapes (and most new Fords) have their headlamps driven by the Smart Junction Box. The headlamps are powered by a pulsed, square-wave 12V supply, from solid-state devices.

I explained all of this above, again. This means that cheap HID kits will either flicker or not light at all. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2133&p=44787&hilit=relay#p44787

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was another thing as well, with the day time running lights would i need a power harness relay straight to the battery or would the hid light not flicker or perform normal?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i put a set of 4000k bulbs in mine a few weeks ago, and they are WHITE. no yellow no blue, just a true white color. they are brighter then my stock bulbs and cost about 40 bucks for the 2 pack. they light up the road awesome when yoru driving where there are no street lamps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have heard people with 08 F150 have no problems installing HID kit and have the lights flicker with daytime running lights? Would the electronics be the same or similar?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts