Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask and see what other peoples thoughts are on this I4 FWD 5-speed manual combo?

I know myself that I have found it to be a bit of a nuesense since my wife and I bought it back in '05. The gearing doesn't seem to be low enough in 1st or reverse for climbing what should be simple little hills and whatnot. I find it just doesnt have enough torque to pull itself without reving the engine higher which most times causes you to spin. Trust me this isn't because Im not familiar with a manual, I've always had one for the last 15 years or so. The main reason we bought this combo was for its excellent fuel mileage (Trust me its been great!) but if I would have known some of the sacrifices Id have to make I would have went with an auto V6. We have loved it for the most part, dont get me wrong and we plan to buy another new one again in a few years. We have had great luck with so far with the 184 000 KM's we have accumulated so far..

So has anyone else experienced these same issues??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ya, first could be a touch lower but I'm otherwise liking the setup. Every now and then I look for gear 6 though :lol: A 6 speed with lower 1, 4 where it is now and taller 6 for better highway cruising and it would be perfect. I don't run into the spin because a) AWD and b) the craptastic OEM Contis were replaced with Triple Treds :) I've never really felt that it lacks power though that is a personal preference. I may have done the V6 if the manual was available with it but I just couldn't do an automatic. A shame that the manual + AWD/4x4 combo was dropped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts