Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a new 2010 escape XLT (with standard 16-in alloy wheels). I know how stupid I am, I hit and went over a curb (the most common one, about 6 inch high) at 30 mph in a rainy night. Fortunately no visuable damage. But I doubt if there any hidden damage (alignment; brake, etc.). For example, now I can feel the smell of brake right after driving if getting closer. Not sure if it is due to any damage? Anybody may provide some clue on how to check them? Or if dealer may offer a free check since I just bought the car within a month?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You very well could have damaged the tire carcass. Breaking the cords, maybe delaminating the layers of the carcass interanlly. Then again, maybe not. I'd take it to the shop and ask them to make sure safety wise. Most of these machines live through this type of strike without any issue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
At that speed you should have caused serious damage to the wheel and front suspension. That is almost 50 km/h and I am suprised the tire didn't blow or you didn't bend a rim. If this was the speed you should have it looked at.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Any vibration at the steering wheel when you are driving? I would have the tires checked and if there's any vibration in the steering wheel I would get a alignment as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The brakes move with the suspension so the only possible damage would have been from the "shock" impact when you struck the curb. Chances are you did not harm the braking system... As a curb is similar to a pot hole strike [just in the opisite direction.] A 6" curb is normal life for vehicles.

If the impact wheel compressed the susupension fully, the overall travel was limited at the bump stop to prevent damage to the suspension system.

Most of the guys have pointed out things you need to inspect.

1. Have an alignement done
2. Have the wheel rebalanced
3. Check the underbody for any new "pinstriping" or leaks

Also, how can you feel the smell of brake? Do you mean that the ABS kicked in and now the pad smells of brake material every time you stop?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies and advices...
No vibration on steering wheel at all, even at 60mph on the highway.
The ground clearance is 8.3" for an escape, so I guess the curb should not have touched any thing underneath the vehicle.
Everytime I stop the vehicle, I can smell the pad, just like I have used brake a lot or the brake pad is now in touch with rotor (I hit the left front wheel)? Cannot hear any special sound while driving though. I often drives on streets so I don't know if that is the reason (about 10 miles each time). I don't know if it came from the ABS.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If your smelling your brakes, you may have jarred the caliper and brake pads out of alignment. The pad could be rubbing the rotor, or you have an incredibly sensitive nose. I'd have the Ford dealer look at it for sure. Don't tell them what you did, just that your smelling hot brakes. Let them figure it out. Maybe they will adjust it under the warranty to keep you happy if there is an issue. :shrug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks jonas1022,

Now I feels like the driving wheel has skew to the front left about 5-10 degrees while driving straight (I hit the front left wheel). That means I must go to dealer to fix the alignment this weekend. Do I need to ask them check other parts like CV joint, axle, & tie rod?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them run the alignment. If it's square - than ask them to adjust the steering wheel so that it's all straight like it would have been before the accident.

And burnt brake pad smell is never good. Have the dealer look at that as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, I agree with taking it in.
You never know what kind of stuff you bent or broke.
You most certainly will need a new alignment.
Have them check the rim, and tire, bearings, brakes and suspension components.

A few friends drove their Toyota SUV's into a curb around here this winter at lower speeds than you, and ended up replacing A-arms and such.

I personally would tell them what you did so they check everything associated with the side of the car instead of having them guess. Whatever the cost to you, you can claim the damage through your auto insurance under comprehensive and only pay the deductable.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to dealer yesterday and tell them the brake and alignment's problem. I didn't tell them I hit the front left wheel. They did an alignment check on all four wheels and found only the front wheel has problem and tow it back to the manufacturer's error limit. That is not a full alignment but they think that is good enough. They also made a multi-point inspection on the tires, brakes, battery, etc and found no problem. No charge...

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good for you! They are wanting to keep you as a customer for sure! I'm glad you didn't do any real damage, too.

Watch those curbs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts