Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Escape inspected by the DMV as we need to do every 2 years here in NJ. I passed this time but 2 years ago I failed because of the OEM tail light surrounds that I had installed. I had to take them off in the parking lot and wait on line again. :wall: What a P.I.T.A. Mine look like this but are black:

According to the NJ DMV you are not permitted to have any portion of your tail lamps covered. I can understand this if it prevents the lights from being visible in any way but these OEM surrounds don't block anything that illuminates. Anyway, this time I took the surrounds off before I went for my inspection. I need to put them back on in the morning. At least they can stay for another 2 years before I need to take them off again :)

Anyone else have any inspection issues with their Escapes?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im lucky i guess. mine was inspected by the dealer when i bought it. and it doesnt require an inspection until i sell it, and the inspection is the buyers responsibility, unless i chose to sell it as safetied.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes things simple for you ;) Here in NJ USA, a new vehicle gets a 4 year inspection sticker. Then we need to get it inspected every 2 years. Not fun, especially if you fail, but it's good for safety and the environment :)

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
RobtRoma said:
According to the NJ DMV you are not permitted to have any portion of your tail lamps covered.
That's weird.....what about the early Mariners that come from the factory w/the tail lamp thingies? I guess they would have to be taken off too?

That isn't an issue in TX, so haven't had a problem with inspections. Oh shoot, now that you mention it, I think my Mariner was supposed to have gotten inspected in JUNE. Lemme go check.........

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dasha said:
That's weird.....what about the early Mariners that come from the factory w/the tail lamp thingies? I guess they would have to be taken off too?

That isn't an issue in TX, so haven't had a problem with inspections. Oh shoot, now that you mention it, I think my Mariner was supposed to have gotten inspected in JUNE. Lemme go check.........
Back when this happened I called out the manager of the inspection station and talked with him and two other employees. They told me they had "problems" with certain cars that came with factory accessories but wouldn't go into details. The manager thought it was a Mercury but didn't know which one. I figure it was the Mariner and Mountaineer because of their taillights... but who knows. I didn't dig too much. At the time I just wanted to get my inspection done...

I also found a picture of the surrounds on my car:

I was supposed to get it inspected last month too. I did it today because I got let out of work at 3 and didn't want to risk getting a ticket at any of the DWI checkpoints that are bound to be setup this weekend...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dasha said:
Oopsie, guess what I missed? :bang:
DOH!!! Best be getting that taken care of before "THE MAN" finds out :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
We have an anuual test called the 'M.O.T'. I failed last year due to the cracked ABS sensor rings. I'd pulled the ABS fuse so the sensor fault didn't affect my braking performance. Obviously, this made the ABS indicator light stay on on the dash.

ABS light lit on the dash is an M.O.T failure.

Once they'd replaced the sensor rings, all was fine.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Dasha said:
Oopsie, guess what I missed? :bang:
Oops!!!!!!

Just remember, we are not laughing with you, we are laughing at you!!! :shrug:

Seriously, I think there is in most cases there is a grace period.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Inspections here are once a year. I only failed once, but that wasn't with a Escape though.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm... I never heard of a grace period for inspection in NJ. I went looking on the state DMV website to see if they mention it but couldn't find it anywhere. :shrug: glad you've got one Dasha :)

Sorry to hear about the failure Chris. Glad it was an easy fix. They do an On-board Diagnostic (ODB) test here to check the emissions here. I figure they see anything wrong on that test or if any lights are on on my dash we will fail as well. Luckily I haven't run into that yet. :angel:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts