Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is basically an extension of my first post and I hope you folks don't mind. I'd just like to find out as much about the 4-banger Escape as I possibly can with my main concern being gas mileage. I plan on getting an '06-'07 4 cyl 2WD model with the bells and whistles (cruise control, power windows, etc) sometime in the near future.

Like I mentioned in my first post, my main concern is getting a solid 24/25 MPG on a regular basis with 75% highway and 25% city. I really want to stay out of the 18-22 MPG range at all costs. It's amazing just how much money a mere 2 or 3 more MPG can save you. So if anyone here owns an automatic 4-banger Escape/Tribute, I'd love to hear about the kind of mileage you're getting. Thanks folks. :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My car is an 03 2.0 petrol, but is 4wd (We never got a 2wd option over here), and has cruise control, and all the other options that were availible at the time of manufacture.
As petrol prices are so expensive here, now at £1.10/litre, economy is becoming more important.
I get between 28 to 32 mpg, depending on the journey, which I think is pretty good, but I could not justify the extra fuel expense for the V6 model.
My driving style is based on my work, the emphasis is on the safety and comfort of the passengers, so I don't have a very heavy right foot, but I do drive "briskly", and find the 2.0 more than adequate for acceleration etc.
One difference maybe that my Maverick has the Ford towing package, with an extra radiator setup to keep the engine temp down, which worked very well when I collected my Father in Laws new trailer and mini digger, and did a 250 mile trip, towing 2.5 tons, and averaged 29 MPG for the journey, which admittadley was nearly all motorway at 50 mph.
Hope this is of help.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Happy with the economy on my 2.3 litre four pot escape. I think it is averaging about 630 kms on a full tank. Its a pity ford engineered the escapes as front wheel drive. Have my reasons for preferring rear wheel drive. Going to trade the escape in eventually. My next engine will be a four cylinder, with a displacement of 3.0 litres but the plus side is it will be a turbo diesel.

Admittedly diesel is expensive down under at the pumps, but the technology has other benefits. Even better economy than petrol. Diesel engines are built stronger to tolerate the higher compression. No coil and spark plugs equates to reduced maintenance. Diesel motors rigorously serviced ,have been known to function for years long after a petrol motor has given up the ghost.

Yes, i have noticed that diesel engines are not as quiet in comparison to petrol motors. For me this is not an issue and is something i can live with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i got the 08 4 cyl and i get pretty good gas mileage.. even wit the 22in rims on i still get an average of about 25 mpg.. i dont know wat i get city/highway cuz i drive both alot but around 25 mpg on average!!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
08 Tribute with the 2.3L four banger and autobox. It's still breaking in and gets about 22-24 mpg around town.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I drive a lot in the city, little on highways and the rest on mountain roads. Our highway speedlimit ist 130km/h (~80mph), so this won't help either. German border is not far away, so I gave it a try and tested the top speed. 175km/h on the speedo after a loooooooong wait and milage then was really poor. :D

All in all, since I've bought my Maverick I have an average usage of 10,5 l/km (22mpg US / 27mpg Imperial). Could be worse, I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm not so sure that the four gets much better mileage than the six on the highway. I think if you light foot it around town it'll do much better (say 10-15%) than the six. Sister in Law has the six and she gets about 20-22 around the city. :) And about the same as the four on the highway. :shrug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts