Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new laptop - I am switching to a new Macbook in the summer. Apple allows me to upgrade the current 250GB 5400RPM HDD to a 256GB SSD. I've been googling the difference between the SSD and regular HDD and am debating which to get. I know SSD costs substantially more than HDD but that doesn't bother me if SSD are in fact better. Can anyone shed some light on this comparison for me? Thank you!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You probably already know most of the facts from your google search, but to repeat the major points:

Cons:
Cost and capacity. SSDs are substantially more expensive per GB than hard disk drives (though the cost factor will gradually diminish), and current capacity is far less than hard drives (which may be a concern depending on what you need to accomplish).

Pros:
No moving parts -- SSDs have no spinning platters; instead they are based on flash memory. As a result, they use less power, weigh less than hard drives, and can be faster. They also don't "crash" when jolted/dropped and they don't make any noise.

When I bought a MacBook Air I bypassed the SSD option as it was just too much of a premium and I needed the capacity. A colleague did go for the SSD option and it works great with no problems to report. I expect that eventually SSDs will completely replace the hard drive (much the same way that USB flash drives have replaced the floppy disk), but that's still a few years away.

:beer:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess one of the major worries/questions I have is cost of repairs out of warranty... I mean - with Apple and AppleCare - that's 3 years away but stilll...

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
Friend of mine has a Dell mini 10 with the SSD. I like it, the darn notebook is feather light and seems to work with no trouble. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I think it will be. Should be more reliable. Only down fall may be the heat it generates. That could cause failures.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I personally think that SSD will replace HDD. Why wouldn't it? We are coming a long way with flash memory...look at the MicroSD Cards...in that little itty bitty chip they can store I think up to 32GB now...wow!!

Even though you get the SSD right now I bet if in the long run you needed to switch to a HDD that the option will be available.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm sold on SSD. My only question remains whether repair costs in 3 years will be astronomical once my macbook is outside of applecare?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyone know whether a laptop that originally comes with a SSD can be changed out to a regular HDD if need be?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I bet not...technology doubles like every 6 months...isn't that the rule?

I think that the SSD would cost as much as a 1TB drive costs today...

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I'm wiling to bet that they'll come out with a SSD that can be changed out with a computer that is currently running a HDD before long. Or have they already? I'm a bit behind on what's newly on the market. :wall:

·
Registered
223 Posts
well like any technology the price will decrease, but in the macbooks both use SATA connections, so you can swap it later on if you need to, just don't do it for 3 years since apple care won't cover it lol... enjoy the mb, I know I do! :yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts