·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I use Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner. Cleans the seats and shines them right up. Doesn't make them slick. Also protects the seats from the sun.

It also comes in wipes and that is what I usually buy. I do the seats once a month.

Good stuff, IMO ! :thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I asked the expedition group 10 yrs ago the answer was a 2 step product, I think it's Lexol? Can't remember now, it's in the garage, and well it's cold out and I'm to lazy to walk out there now.

I don't clean/treat them as much as I probably should tho, I'm still on the same original bottles, and they were small, maybe 8oz each, and 3 yrs ago I added the Escape to the family, so now I have 2 cars with leather.

Wipes might me the easiest route to go.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I must admit that I do not take care of the leather as often as I should in the winter months, but am very faithful the rest of the time.
The wipes really are easier. :yes:

Been thinking about trying the Zaino leather cleaner. I really like some of their other products. May be something to give a try when doing a full detail. Detailing a vehicle is actually something I enjoy. I usually set aside a full day and take my time with it. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I bought some stuff at a close out of a grocery store in my area a couple years ago, I think for $.99. Maybe a penny more. Works fine imo. Generic brand though and no replacement insight since Safeway left the DFW area.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Colleen said:
I use Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner. Cleans the seats and shines them right up. Doesn't make them slick. Also protects the seats from the sun.

It also comes in wipes and that is what I usually buy. I do the seats once a month.

Good stuff, IMO ! :thumb:
x2. This is what I used also. It's a cleaner & conditioner in 1. I've also read a lot of good things about Lexol -- which can be bought at a lot of auto parts stores. If you go mail order, your options are endless.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Colleen said:
Been thinking about trying the Zaino leather cleaner.
That's what I use along with their conditioner. It's OK I guess. You still need to use a good bit of elbow grease to get marks out of the seat. It's also got a fairly strong chemical smell. I only use it 3 or 4 times from late spring to early fall. I also have ArmorAll cleaner/conditioner wipes that I use. It's not as good as the Zaino but it's useful when I'm on a hurry...

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Colleen said:
Been thinking about trying the Zaino leather cleaner.
That's what I use along with their conditioner. It's OK I guess. You still need to use a good bit of elbow grease to get marks out of the seat. It's also got a fairly strong chemical smell. I only use it 3 or 4 times from late spring to early fall. I also have ArmorAll cleaner/conditioner wipes that I use. It's not as good as the Zaino but it's useful when I'm on a hurry...
Thanks Rob. :) I use Zaino car wash, wax, and detail spray and love the results that I get. They all smell real good, especially the car wash and detail spray. I'm having second thoughts on the leather cleaner now though. I know that I'm not gonna like a strong chemical smell. Especially in the interior.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of great advice thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
for cleaning leather, use Ivory bar soap and white washcloths. Wring out the cloth, rub the soap onto the cloth, wipe onto the leather. Use another wrung-out white washcloth to wipe off the soap/dirt. Repeat until no further dirt is removed on the cloth.

Dressing is whatever you like for leather and plastic (since the coating on leather is actually plastic). I use 303 Aerospace Protectant (which you can use on pretty much everything, including rubber).

BTW, the only thing that touches my paint is Zaino. Their "leather" products are not as outstanding.

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the leather is already getting hard and loosing its supple feel, Giroit's Garage sells a leather rejuvenater that works really well. It may take more than one treatment, but it really brings old leather back to life. Their normal leather treatment seems OK, but nothing special.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My father has used Leatherique for 15+ years for all his leather cleaning and conditioning and I used it for 6 on my cars prior to the Trib.

A little more pricey, but works wonders, and is considered one of the best products in the Jaguar community. It's also used a lot in restoration projects because they will make color matching dyes and crack filler for major repairs.

http://www.leatherique.com/

·
Registered
60 Posts
I work at a Cadillac, Hummer and Saab dealership and i see leather all the time, in all kinds of condition. Now at the dealership we use a product called VLP. Its a plastic and leather cleaner as well as conditioner, but I also detail cars on my free time and I personally use Lexol Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner. Just watch and make sure you dont scrub the leather to hard or you'll start to take the color outof it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Prowler brought up a hugely significant point. The leather in our vehicles is coated leather and is not treated the same way as unfinished leather in classic cars. The Leatherique products, Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean, are absolutely excellent products. Lexol is highly regarded as well. But these are of little use in most newer cars because of the coating. It's hard not to use the stuff you historically used and also hard not to use products that "renourish" the leather, but you have to think more "plastic" than "leather". I would suggest Leather Masters products, 1Z Einzett Leather Care or Optimum Protectant Plus (the exact same product is also sold labeled "Optimum Leather Protectant" when sold in the 17 ounce bottle). 303, the product Prowler mentioned, is also great stuff. The most important thing to do is keep the leather clean and protected.

·
Registered
119 Posts
+ 1,000,000 on the Leatherique.
For more info go on their website, and the explanations are there. I use the stuff on my BMW and the results are outstanding. The cleaner actually "pulls" out dirt, sweat, food residues etc from the leather and the conditioner actually conditions the leather to make it supple and "feeds" it without soaking it and ruining your clothes.
Also, they have products to restaurate cracked leather (it fills it) and to dye it so it looks like out from factory. Really outstanding product.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts