Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering for the summer months, if people have pulled the 4x4 fuse in the passenger kick panel to get better mileage? Any problems it could lead to?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Something tells me that you probably shouldnt do that. I mean it controls the power that could go to the rear wheels. Also correct me if Im wrong but isnt it connected to the ECS?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well older subarus has this and there was no issue with running it fwd. Many did it for dyno's and 1/4 drag runs. A member on escapecentral has done it and it had been recommended to him by a mechanic at the dealer. I dont for see an issue with it, it would just cut power being sent to the rear tires, the physical connections would still spin no problem.

What I am unsure about as I've heard it both ways is:
does the escape only drive fwd until it senses slip then send power to rear
OR
is it always split like 80front/20 rear or 60 front/ 40 rear and when it slips it sends more to a place?

Oh as for ESC I dont think my 2005 have that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Even if the system wasn't active, you still have the weight of the 4x4 components attached to the vehicle, plus the drive line still spins so I don't think you'd get any better mileage at all.

Who knows, pulling a fuse might even put the Escape into limp home mode...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wptski I think has played with the fuse. Hopefully he will chime in.

I know that from a dead stop and taking off both the front and rear wheels get torque. Then after a certain speed, it transfers to the front supposedly until the system senses rear wheel slippage then applies torque back. So in theory if you are not driving torque to the rears at take-off, your mileage should improve.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This has been discussed here and elsewhere. Pulling the fuse on the 2005 and newer models should net you 2-3 mpg improvement. This includes hybrid models.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah so thats how the 4wd system works. yes if its putting torq to the rear at all then this should help some. I live in Duluth and its huge hills, my dad with his v6 is in a more flat city but is only getting 18/19 daily, 21 hwy and we all would love more mpgs ;)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Billyk said:
This has been discussed here and elsewhere. Pulling the fuse on the 2005 and newer models should net you 2-3 mpg improvement. This includes hybrid models.
thank you sir. Ive search both forums but didnt find anything! and well the other forum I think people post like once a year on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Billyk said:
Very interesting.
Not doubting what you're saying but where did this info come from. escape05xls says he has searched with no joy on finding anything. Some thing as simple as pulling a fuse to gain 2-3 mpg, what with all the threads about fuel mileage, you'd think this would be up front and center on the tips list.
Any further help, links or experience with this I'm sure would be greatly appreciated from us fellow 4x4 guys.
Thanx, Kirk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well ive driven a mix, maybe 40 city 60 hwy for just over half a tank. I'm gonna gas up, pull the fuse and drive again and see how the mpg go...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Greenhybrid.com has this information in several threads. It also exists on this site.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billyk said:
Greenhybrid.com has this information in several threads. It also exists on this site.
well I searched and couldnt find it any where on this site, only on escapecentral. And I dont have a hybrid so never checked greenhybrid.com. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Experimenting with gas mileage is one thing but when in the experimentation we compromise the driveline engagement system of the car things can go very nasty, extremely nasty, deadly nasty!!!
The roads are not always dry and unforseen emergency manoovres are part of someones driving.Fiddling around with the designers' end product can only bring trouble.
Forgive me for sounding too old but my last name starts with Papa... so there you have it.

PS.Getting rid of extra weight is the way to go for better gas mileage and with the Escape there are at least 200lb you can safely wave adios but with certain sacrifices.

Nevertheless, being new here, I find you a lively bunch and I hope you stay so.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pulled the fuse this weekend and did notice the escape has a tad more pick up on take offs. The 4x4 does blink every so often, but not a big issue to ignore.

As for negative effects. I dont see there being any for summer months. I have a 05, theres no traction control or stability control. I drive my escape to work or 2 hours of highway to my friends/family houses. In the fall I will put the fuse back in for 4x4. I don't really for see any situation where 4x4 would be needed in the summer, if so, the fuse is taped to the fuse cover....

·
Registered
758 Posts
SUVord said:
Experimenting with gas mileage is one thing but when in the experimentation we compromise the driveline engagement system of the car things can go very nasty, extremely nasty, deadly nasty!!!
The roads are not always dry and unforseen emergency manoovres are part of someones driving.Fiddling around with the designers' end product can only bring trouble.
Forgive me for sounding too old but my last name starts with Papa... so there you have it.

PS.Getting rid of extra weight is the way to go for better gas mileage and with the Escape there are at least 200lb you can safely wave adios but with certain sacrifices.

Nevertheless, being new here, I find you a lively bunch and I hope you stay so.
Would you like to tell us where to find the extra 200lbs of weight in these vehicles you can safely get rid of? :confused:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Before I start, please remember that I mentioned some sacrifices which have to do with convenience only and not with safety issues.
First you can say good bye to the driver's seat electric motor.The windows electric motors come next and then comes the subtraction of the air-condition.That is enough but can someone bear it?

There is an another alternative way you can save on gas mileage by substituting the 235 width tires with 215 which is the tire width all Escapes,aka Mavericks, were sold in Europe.

Please note that I would not prefere to go into those alteration myself for the sake of some better mileage.I would simply go and buy a car with better mileage instead.

The modifications I have done to my car are plenty but for the purpose of rally-raids only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Doesn't the Traction Control off button do the same thing as pulling the fuse or does the system still actively transfer power? Maybe a rocker switch could be added in order to get rid of all the hassle.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you are using 4WD because of the roads and terrain you work with, of course you should not disable your 4WD.

We are on paved roads at least 95% of the time, and the gravel roads are level and well graded. If we have a reasonably light foot, we don't need 4WD at all. In winter if we have the right tires, we still don't need it.

I didn't want 4WD, and only have it because that's the vehicle that came available. The rear driveline components probably weigh some 200LB, and of course are in constant rotation; this uses energy thru friction and thru the rotation of the mass. The least fuel consumption we've been able to get is about 9.5 litres/100km (mixed driving).

Contitrac tires are part of my problem - any tire that makes that much noise is clearly wasting energy.

I plan to pull the fuse for the rest of the season, and put it back in around early November. In winter it will be cheaper to do that than to buy winter tires, and maybe I'll wear out these #$% Contitracs a little sooner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts