Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang. Had my '01 Escape in the shop today (not a Ford dealer) for a vibration problem. They said the u-joints need to be replaced. They also think that the u-joints can't be replaced - the whole driveshaft needs to be replaced. I've used this shop for over 10 years and am friends with the owner. I know they're not trying to screw me.

They are going to call Ford on Monday and see if they can confirm. In the meantime, has anyone with an early Escape ever needed to replace a u-joint? And can you replace the u-joint without replacing the whole drivetrain?

I appreciate the help. Thanks! :bill:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Not a definitive answer, but the service manual says the entire assembly has to be replaced instead of just the U-joint. What this likely means is that Ford will not allow you to order just the U-joint.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Squish is right.

First, here's the how-to on the driveshaft removal and installation:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=566#p11196

Here's the how-to on the universal joint removal and installation:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3804#p70982

It does appear that the universal joints are part of the driveshaft assembly, although it's not clear on the service DVD. The pre-2005 service DVDs aren't as detailed as the newer ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2002 Ford Escape and I replaced my own U joints.
Bought from the dealer.
Be very very careful of 2 things.

1st - That great big CV joint at the start of the driveshft is 1 pc. For your own sake DO NOT pull that apart like I did. Now saying that there are bolts that have to come off BUT the lenght of the bolts are the length of the unit that needs to come off also. That if dmg costs you a new driveshaft as it is not replaceabe with full shaft. Mine was seized solid causing my headache. I was very very lucky as mine was ok after I pulled it out and messed with it for hours trying to get it rebuilt back in the casing. In our town there are only 2 of the mechanics at the ford dealership that have the "trick" down packed to reinstall it in the casing. For 150.00 CDN dollars labor they popped it in there like nothing. A used Driveshaft for my truck was 900.00 CDN from a junkyard. I didn't ask what a new one was worth. I was literally too scared.

2nd - That big unit in the middle of the driveshaft ( anti vibration unit i think it as called ), That also means a new driveshaft if you do damage to it.

Other than that the U-joints were literally a joke to change just like any other driveshaft.
Hope this helps
Snap

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hey jpark.

those instructions are way to detailed LoL, what happend to putting it in a vice and beating the crap outta it with a BFH haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Day! I am considering buying a 2001 Escape that has "some kind of joint issue" so wondering what happened with your Escape. Was your mechanic able to fix it without replacing the whole drive shaft? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
CrashNburn said:
hey jpark.

those instructions are way to detailed LoL, what happend to putting it in a vice and beating the crap outta it with a BFH haha.
Well, seems that our mechanics at work aren't alone......... :hyst:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '06 and replaced my own. It's the same as any other vehicle with u-joints. When I did mine, the snap rings were rusted in place, so I heated them with a torch and knocked them out in pieces using a hammer and a cold chisel. Ignore the instructions posted where it says to use that special tool. A hammer and some kind of blunt-ended tool will work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts