Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tow a 17-foot center console with my 2007 Escape with 3.0L and towing package. It handles it fairly well up to highway speeds, but anything over 70 seems to put a little too much strain on the engine for my liking. When going from 0-60 I hardly notice it is back there. The acceleration is pretty good, but I don't have a lead foot to begin with though. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i used to tow a 1970 14ft Crestliner with a 50HP eninrude on the back. with enough kit for the day, and me the wife and my daughter, i never had a problem.

and i miss that boat :(

·
Registered
390 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but at least I can give a weight related reply.
As I posted in another thread I towed my Datsun 240 (really 660) Z on a Dolly, with combined weight very close to 3100lbs + in the hatch my 50+ tool box, spare parts, helmet, gear, cooler etc. I was amazed how well the Escape did. No records 0-60 but very capable and still had resonable brakes. I knocked down 17.8 mpg keeping it most of the time at or below 70 mph, A/C on the return trip.
I'm really impressed with the mileage towing and have given my standby tow rig, the in-laws Dodge V10, the big ¡Adiós!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to say the boat is around 1200 lbs with the motor weighing about 450 lbs. I really am not sure about the trailer, but it is a single axle aluminum trailer if that helps. The only area I find lacking is on the high end above 70 mph. I usually don't tow it for over 25 miles, so it isn't much of a problem. Since I don't tow it very far, I don't have any good statistics on gas mileage.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
that 450 at the back will make it nicer to tow. i found that with my boat on the the abck of the escape it was much nicer then the same amount of weight in the utility trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.