Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.freep.com/article/20100316/B ... yotas-woes?

WASHINGTON -- It may sound far-fetched, but federal regulators are studying whether sudden acceleration in Toyotas is linked to cosmic rays.

Radiation from space long has affected airplanes and spacecraft, and is known for triggering errors in computer systems, but has received scant attention in the auto industry.

The questions show how deep regulators and automakers may have to dig to solve the mysteries of sudden acceleration. Toyota says it is fixing mechanical problems -- floor mats and sticky pedals -- that explain sudden acceleration in 13 models and 5.6 million vehicles.

But at least half of more than 1,500 recent complaints to regulators involve other models, raising questions whether Toyota has fixed its problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
sounds possible, but... why havent other vehicles with similar systems had this problem? Maybe if they could track the day and time that all the accidents or issues with the accelarator occured then check for cosmic rays on that day and time... yeh, highly unlikely. It seems odd that this specific recall got so much attention just when GM needed a boost. Remember that we (U.S. taxpayers) own GM and our president is the un-official CEO. Im not sayn there is a conspiracy, but that is just as believable as the cosmic ray theory. I dont belive either are true.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
mr hammond said:
Remember that we (U.S. taxpayers) own GM and our president is the un-official CEO.
To be accurate, both GM and Chrysler asked for and received loans from the US government, not ownership.

GM plans on paying off their loan by the end of 2011.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If I recall correctly, Chrysler (aka Fiat) has paid back it's loan in the form of the buyout by Fiat.

I believe that the government has had the money that it lent to banks either returned by now, or they are in the process of finishing off repaying the government before the end of this year. Congress, in it's wisdom has apparently been looking at other places to put the money. Instead of redepositing it back into the Treasury and lowering our debt to ourselves....

If I am wrong about this, my apologies to our Representatives and Senators.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Politics!

:bang:

·
Registered
157 Posts
So Toyota didn't use ECC memory? D'oh.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think Leviathan is causing Toyota's problems. 1) Doesn't he emit radiation from his mouth? 2) Aren't the Japanese totally scared of him? That would explain rapidly fleeing once they're exposed to radiation.

There. Any other questions?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ajax said:
I think Leviathan is causing Toyota's problems. 1) Doesn't he emit radiation from his mouth? 2) Aren't the Japanese totally scared of him? That would explain rapidly fleeing once they're exposed to radiation.

---Actually, it is Mothra causing the problem. She flies over all Toyotas when she is in the USA skies, and presses the accelerator pedal down with her breathe.
They kinda give her a taste of home. Of course you can't see her since she is pretty high up there, but you sure get the feeling of flying---

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
Godzilla vs. Mothra

No matter who wins, we lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Leviathan said:
:lol: :hyst: :clap:

And it's only DDR2 800. They didn't get the DDR3 memo yet.

Oh, I still like Leviathan's signature from another life: GAME ON!!!

Estelle2 said:
---Actually, it is Mothra causing the problem. She flies over all Toyotas when she is in the USA skies, and presses the accelerator pedal down with her breathe.
They kinda give her a taste of home. Of course you can't see her since she is pretty high up there, but you sure get the feeling of flying---

That did it. I just splorted what was left of my coffee!

Most newer Toyotas are even styled to look like Mothra!!!

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I think since 85% of GM is now owned by the Govt. that they are behind it. They are trying to shift the way people buy cars. I love my Toyota almost as much as My SCAPE. Give me time it may be a head to head run. :shades: :blush:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My brother owns a 1993 Lexus SC 400. It is by all accounts a wonderful machine. The seats are too hard for me, I have a soft bottom and don't care for park bench seating in any car. It seems that several, if not most, cars nowadays have this type seating. So it's not exactly a large detraction.

His major issue with the car has been the rear suspension bushings. They have to be the cheapest of any bushing on any car. He has had to replace them three times. It's not a cheap refit either. Something on the order of $2500 for all of them with the alignment. It is an independent suspension. A Mercedes that I owned years ago had similar problems, but was only about $300 to me for the job. Do I like Toyota's ? No, but that isn't really germain. You like you pickup JJ. That's all that should matter to you. Not this turmoil that everyone else is focusing on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ajax said:

Mouth? er, no... :lol: I once picked up a bus and threw it back down as I waded through the buildings to the centre of town but I don't think Toyota built it. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
jpark said:
Leviathan said:

And it's only DDR2 800. They didn't get the DDR3 memo yet.
:yes:

Oh, I still like Leviathan's signature from another life: GAME ON!!!
Kinda miss that one actually :beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts