Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a wannabee in EC. lol

Dealer can't locate the xls in color and/or package I'm agreeable to. They want me to upgrade to XLS but only seem to want to knock off 100 off that package. They keep claiming that they can't move because of the xplan. I said, give me a better deal than the xplan and don't put me on it. LOL

I was in Costco last night and remembered they had an auto buying program. I grabbed a pamphlet, made the call...the are quoting me a price, only $311 more for the XLT 203A rapid spec then the other dealer was going to charge me for 200A, bare bones XLT.

before fees, tax and tags, but including the rebate quoted $21970. Truecar.com shows this to be a pretty darn good price.

Wish me luck in getting my deposit back from the dealer that tried but couldn't deliver, and getting loan approval ok in round 2.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hope you get your deposit back - since it is not against a particular car (a VIN) then they owe it to you. Most jurisdictions have laws protecting you - and if he hesitates, say no problem, just match the Costco deal.

Don;t be loyal to any one dealer - go where you get the best deal. In my experience the service dept doesn't care where you bought it - they actually see getting someone else's car a bit of a victory.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Good luck to you! :) Like Kmoose said, they should give you your deposit back. Everything happens for a reason and that XLT sounds like a MUCH better deal and you will definitely be happier with the XLT versus the XLS. :yes:

Please keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know Ive always been the type that if I cant get a car thats decently loaded and is what I can afford, I look for something cheaper that I can get fully loaded. Ive been in cars that are almost bare and told myself I would never do that again. I know for some a car is something to get from point a to point b, but I like to drive and a good portion of our lives are spent in a car going to and from work. So why not treat yourself a lil and drive something you will enjoy and not sit there wishing you had this or that. Go with the XLT, trust me you will not regret it!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm somewhat the same - get the equipment you want. If you are already spending $20, $25, or $30 K, what's another $1000-1500 to get everything you want? adding 5 or 10% for the equipment you want is worth it - you'll be living with it for a few years. If you can't afford that equipment new, grab a 2 year old version of the same car, fully loaded, and you'll pay a lot less than the base price on a new one. My 09 was $4K less than the base price of a '10 XLT 4cyl 2wd stripper here in Canada, no freight costs, but had leather, roof, 17" chrome, etc etc and only 12,000km (7K miles) - all told, over $12K less than the same vehicle new.

I once heard that the best value is found halfway up (or down) the options list on any new car - the mid range model. Top of the line you are generally paying for things you don't need, and that you will never recover in resale, and stripper is impossible to sell/trade later on. I think mine is closer to the upper end, without being a "limited", but I paid only a few hundred more than a comparable 2009 2WD V6 XLT with cloth ,base wheels, no roof, etc on the same lot. Again, little value in the super-premium extras once it is a used car(but that worked to my advantage)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting to own. Went to the dealer Saturday, everything that I was told was in stock Friday was gone. I wasn't going to get upsold for options I didn't want, plus I'm at the top end of my budget.

They knocked off a whopping 70 more bucks and took my order w/ no deposit. They said they hoped to get in into a Escape by Tues or Wed. It's Wed, so I'm waiting to hear how we are going. They will also make the 45 min or so drive to pick me up to get the new car.

Great advice Kmoose. I actually think I'm stuck in a new car right now. By the time I take off the 2k rebate, and the fact that I need to stretch payments out on a long term loan and no bank will write that loan for a used car, I'm in the new bracket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no Escape. Now they are saying next week. Costco called around to a bunch of dealers w/in an hour drive and nobody had anything in stock so I guess I'm stuck waiting. But waiting on your daughter for rides sux !

Interestingly, one of the other dealers tried to tell me that the car they sold on Tues, the deal might not go thru on the financing. (they are just finding out today?). They offered me the car but said they couldn't touch the price the dealer I'm with right now offered. They only offered me 500 off msrp. I could have done better w/ Xplan than their supposed Costo pricing.

I must have a sign that says "jerk me around" on my forehead.

Well if I get the car I'm waiting on I'll get a killer deal. It's just the waiting is killing me. It wouldn't be so bad if I had wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news: Car should be in on Monday
Bad news: I don't have a car to get to court on Monday
Good news: Once I find a way to get to court, I should be divorced Monday !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.