Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola mi amigos,

Since I like to keep an eye on my servers when I'm out of town, I always bring my laptop with me. I've been using it in hotels and anywhere that free wireless is offered (usually Panera's!), but I'd like to have the internet even more available, just in case. I like being able to make changes to my web systems right in front of clients, since it has a strange way of making my business look good.

Anyway, does anyone use the AT&T or Sprint wireless laptop card? I have an AT&T (Cingular when I signed up :cuss: ) cell phone, so I'm guessing I'd save some money with it, but I've heard that Sprint's card is faster, although service is (supposedly) not available in as many areas. My laptop has an ExpressCard 34/54 slot, not the older PCMCIA.

Does anyone have experience with either card? Is yours part of your cell account?

And, finally, what's the monthly damage, if you don't mind my asking? $49.95/month always translates into $83.27 after the fees are added ( :cuss: ).

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
I have not used the AT&T or Sprint wireless card but I have used the Verizon wireless card with good reception results. The cost :nervous: I paid was similar to what you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DOH! I did leave out Verizon, didn't I?

Do you have a Verizon account for anything else, and have you ever tested the speeds?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I have the sprint card, $99 a month unlimited use with no roaming or extra data chares in the US. It really does work well and I have not found a place where it does not work. I have a Cingular phone and there are time when the phone does not work but the card does :doh:

I heard also that the sprint was the faster card so I went with it and I liket he speeds I have but I not used the others to compare...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
JP I worked for Verizon Wireless for 2 1/2 years...this is one thing that I have expertise in :)

Verizon will currently have your fastest speeds as they run on CDMA Rev. A service. You can expect download speeds give or take around 4MB and upload around 768 KB in real life even though they claim more. If you are not a VZW subscriber, the cost is $79.99 for unlmited data and no roaming. VZW has the best wireless coverage hands down. I have been with them since I was 16 and never plan on changing. I currently use the internet through my phone, which is the LG Voyager. I get it the internet for, um, er, free. Shhh!!!

AT&T would be the company that I would go with if any. Sprint is going downhill fast. They are losing more customers than they are signing up every quarter. Sprint speeds will be faster than AT&T but you will at least know that your company is not heading towards shutting its doors. Even though Sprint is too big to shut its doors anytime soon, I just don't feel good about them. Last night I was in the mall and was passing a sprint store...they had one of their posters up that was HAND MADE. Black sharpie and a highlighter to promote their new unlimite calling plan...shows how much money they have in my book.

If you have any specific questions I'll have your answer on this...I miss working for Verizon... :(

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
I used to have a Verizon account and had good reception (I guess that is the right word). I also had 2 other wireless accounts plus an OnStar account.

I am no longer a Verizon Wireless customer. Our contracts on the wireless phones ran out and we switched to AT&T. The OnStar was converted to prepaid. The air card was cancelled and the appropriate cancellation fee was paid. The reason I cancelled the wireless data card was I no longer needed it because I was no longer traveling.

I did check the download speed when I was in San Jose and was in the 1 - 2 MB range if I recall correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts