Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every time I am at the Gas pump putting gas in. The gas will either go in and nothing happens or it cuts off like every time you blink your eyes, so I usually get pissed off and quit. So here is my question Why does it do at certain pumps and others it doesn't?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Not all pumps conform to the EPA requirements of a maximum flow rate of 10 GPM. Those exceeding this flow rate may cause premature shut-off in newer sealed gas tank systems.

You can avoid it in many cases by not putting the entire nozzle into the filler neck. I leave about 1/4 of it hanging out.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Nozzle maybe bent beyond design, and so the feedback senses more fumes and cuts off? :shrug: Find a location with better maintained equipment. It isn't your machine I'm fairly certain of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The pump does two things... it pushes liquid fuel into the tank, and it also pulls out fuel vapor from the tank. Once the pressure starts to build on the suction part, it kicks off the pump.. this is how it knows when the tank is full.

Some areas require pumps to have the rubber/plastic boot thing that seals up against the fill tube (this further helps to prevent vapors from venting into the atmosphere). If the person before you 'topped off' their tank.. that is.. forcing more fuel into it once it kicks off, sometimes liquid fuel can enter the vapor suction part and kind of clog it up.. which can lead to the next person filling up to have constant kicking off of the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
HyBrad said:
The pump does two things... it pushes liquid fuel into the tank, and it also pulls out fuel vapor from the tank. Once the pressure starts to build on the suction part, it kicks off the pump.. this is how it knows when the tank is full.

Some areas require pumps to have the rubber/plastic boot thing that seals up against the fill tube (this further helps to prevent vapors from venting into the atmosphere). If the person before you 'topped off' their tank.. that is.. forcing more fuel into it once it kicks off, sometimes liquid fuel can enter the vapor suction part and kind of clog it up.. which can lead to the next person filling up to have constant kicking off of the pump.
Crap I do that all the time!! :bill:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I really wanna say something right now...but I will restrain myself

·
Registered
333 Posts
This was actually a legitimate problem with 05-06 Mustangs...I could NEVER fill my 05 on max flow from any pump, as it would create too much backpressure. There was a TSB from Ford, and they would replace the filler and vent tubes free of charge with redesigned ones. I don't know if this is the same problem some Escape owners are facing...

I don't seem to have problems filling my Escape on max flow, and yes, I'm one of those people that sometimes overfills my tank at the pumps too...that is, when it's under $1.23 per L...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts