Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, another revisited tranny question. I've searched and can't find another topic with this particular case.
Background: 2001 XLT V6 2wd - It shifts smooth throughout, but when it shifts into overdrive, the slightest movement off the accelerator causes it to shift back out of OD. It seems to search unless at 55mph or above. From 45 to 55 it shifts in and out. Drain and fills every 3000 miles with oil changes. Regular Mercon. 96k miles on it. Any ideas?

By the way, long time lurker, first time register. Awesome site, full of info.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It downshifts when you lift off the gas?

I've heard of them doing the opposite, upshifting. That would be normal if under load. Downshifting though, something going on there.

Maybe you need to "reboot" your 'puter by disconnecting the battery overnight and then reconnecting it the following morning. That's where I would go to begin with.

Then on to the Auto Zone to see if there are any codes popping up and not giving a check engine light. Just some thoughts. I am by no means a mechanic. :peace:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have heard a lot of complaints about your exact issue. From what I can gather, it seems to be "normal" - just a flaw in the design or programming. I have learned to keep my foot on the gas constantly instead of the lift on-lift off motion to keep a steady speed. That keeps the torque converter locked and also gives a smoother ride for passengers. Others just turn off overdrive when cruising at those problem speeds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squishy said:
I have heard a lot of complaints about your exact issue. From what I can gather, it seems to be "normal" - just a flaw in the design or programming..
I had a feeling this would be the case. Other than that I have no complaints. I'll deal with it since that's the only annoyance. Thanks for the help guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
your transmission is most likely not shifting. what you are feeling is the lock up clutch in your torque converter engaging and disengaging. first step. fluid change. if that doesnt stop it, then you will most likely require a new lock up solenoid.

mine was doing the same thing, so i took it to the ford dealer for a flush. (last time thats gonna happen. fN crooks), well that fixed it for about 10-15,000km. now its started again. and well, im too cheap to really care about it, cause its more of an annoyance then anything. but it will effect your fuel millage.

the lock up clutch engages at cruising speed, to lock your torque converter 1:1 with your transmission, removing the fluid coupler design from the equation causing less effort on your engine to spin your transmission input shaft. now a days the computer controls when it engages, and disengages. If you touch the brakes, it will disengage immediately, preventing your engine from stalling.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Some good thoughts CrashnBurn. I forgot what the torque converter locking and unlocking feels like. But it is similar to a downshift out of O/D and back up again. I had a Buick Century that clunked around like that back in the 80s.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the worst that will come of it is bad mileage, I can live with that. I've been guzzling up 16 mpg since I bought it. I'll just continue my drain and fills and hope for the best. Like you said, it's just an annoyance.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you might be able to take your truck to a transmission shop and get them to change the solenoid, i will be getting mine changed next time i go home for vacation. i will take itto the transmission shop i used to work at Lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm afraid to even find out how much that would run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts