Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AutoblogGreen has compiled their list of the TOP 5 hybrid SUVs and posted them at the following site:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/18 ... ble-today/

Not suprisingly, the Escape/Mariner/Tribute places #1
:yahoo:

The Top 5 hybrid SUVs available today

Sport Utility Vehicles may be the anti-poster-child for the green movement, but there may not be a better choice for certain types of families. As a class of vehicle, the SUV has been around since the 1950s, and while sales may have peaked a few years ago, the tall wagon with good ground clearance and towing capability will always find a few buyers.

Fortunately, the SUV has gotten a little green lovin' in the form of hybrid drivetrains from major manufacturers, including the undisputed heavywight champion of the hybrid world, Toyota. Likewise, the Detroit 3 have gotten in on the hybrid SUV game, and the combatants come in all shapes, sizes and of course, prices. We decided to take a look at the top five hybrid SUVs to see what the fuss is all about. Read on past the break to find out what we found out. Note: if mileage figures are quoted, they are 2008 EPA numbers.

#5 - Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon
There are plenty of dissenters who believe that the full-size hybrids from General Motors don't deserve any sort of green recognition at all. We can understand their argument, especially considering that the fuel mileage of these monsters is less than half that of the hybrid by which all others are judged, the Prius. Still, lets make a few comparisons. According to fueleconomy.gov, the Camry hybrid would save its driver $642 in gasoline per year compared to the standard Camry. By the same measurement, the Tahoe hybrid would save its driver $903 during those 12 months. Additionally, the Tahoe might be able to seat an entire large family (6+ people) that would need two vehicles if they were both sedans.

We are not going to suggest for even a second that the full-size SUVs from the General are the greenest cars on the road. Still, the annual fuel savings available to those who need them earns them a spot at number five on our list.

#4 -Toyota Highlander
We got the chance to drive the Toyota Highlander hybrid a while back and came away thinking it was a bit overpriced. It's a bit cheaper than the Tahoe or Yukon, but not by much. When current incentives for the GM products are factored in, the difference may be a wash. So, let's examine its efficiency. Like the Tahoe, the Highlander hybrid also comes as a standard model, so a comparison can be made. The regular Highlander with four-wheel-drive gets 17 mpg in city and 23 on the highway. It'll run $3,188 for a year's worth of gas. The hybrid model improves things a bit to 27 city and 25 highway, leading to a savings of $855 for your year's supply of fuel.

All in all, the Highlander hybrid is a worthwhile improvement over its normal sibling. Is it worth the cost, though? That's hard to say, so we'd suggest looking at all of your options before making a choice.

#3 - Lexus RX400h
For the sake of comparison, the non-hybrid version of the Lexus RX sport utility manages to get 18/23 miles per gallon. The government reckons you'll spend $3,203 on a year's supply of gasoline for this vehicle. On the flip side of the coin, the RX hybrid gets 27/24 and will run you $2,562 for your yearly fuel. So, choosing the hybrid will save the driver $641 a year for gas. Still, the hybrid Lexus is meant to improve the performance of the vehicle in addition to its added efficiency. We hear it moves along quite nicely too, and the driver likely enjoys their time in the highly inviting cockpit and enjoys the stellar reliability that the Lexus is so likely to deliver. Still, this is a list of green vehicles, and the RX just doesn't match up with the top few vehicles on our list.

#2 - Saturn Vue
The Saturn Vue was the first hybrid model from General Motors and has lived on through an entire model cycle. For 2008, the Vue was completely redesigned, though the mild hybrid system was carried over with few changes. We think that the new model is rather attractive, so it gets points for style. The fact that it uses a lower-tech hybrid system brings it back down, though. There will be a new 2-Mode Vue hybrid available shortly, but it's not out yet, so we're sticking with the mild unit (someday, a plug-in version will be available as well). Still the 5kW motor/generator is able to make a decent improvement in fuel economy. According to the EPA, the non-hybrid Vue manages 19 mpg in the city and 26 on the highway. Total estimated cost for a year's worth of fuel is $2,757. The hybrid version manages 25 in the city and a whopping 32 on the highway, which should result in a savings of about $600 in a year. The Vue gets extra brownie points for coming in at just $25,370. That price makes it the cheapest hybrid SUV on our list. Still, we think there's a better option.

#1 - Ford Escape
We've spent plenty of seat time behind the wheel of the Ford Escape hybrid. The last time we had one, it managed to return an average of thirty miles per gallon. This mileage figure is remarkable, since the Vue hybrid, which you just saw at number two on our list, didn't do quite as well. Remember, too, that the Ford Escape hybrid is the same vehicle as the Mercury Mariner hybrid and Mazda Tribute hybrid. Let's take a look at the comparison between the standard Escape and the hybrid model.

According to the EPA, the regular Escape will get 20 miles per gallon in the city and 26 on the highway when its four cylinder engine is paired with an automatic transmission. The hybrid improves those numbers dramatically, coming in at 34 in the city and 30 on the highway. We'll back those numbers as being fairly accurate. This means that an Escape hybrid driver will save a significant $860 per year on fuel compred to the non-hybrid driver. For a vehicle which is priced well under $30 grand, that's a worthwhile improvement, and it makes the Escape hybrid number one on our list.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Did we have any doubts?
:happy: :woohoo: :wave: :party:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
"was"?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
It's in the back of my mind..but it doesn't make sense for me to do it right now...Ill have to pay minimum $2500 additional just to sell my Escape. Then I will have to have a down payment for the new Hybrid plus the payments would probably be more...ill hold off for right now and just mod the crap out of my current Escape.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scooter Scott said:
...ill hold off for right now and just mod the crap out of my current Escape.
I would agree... as long as those "mods" include a 70kW electric motor, eCVT, 330-volt NiMH battery pack, electric steering, and regenerative brakes!

(Heck, throw in the PHEV/plug-in conversion kit from Hybrids Plus in Colorado as well).

:rockon:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My dealer sent me a flyer today telling me that my Edge is in very high demand in this area, and they'll give me $25,000 for it right now. I have an idea that I'll be able to get out of the Edge lease easily if I want to.

I really think that our next two cars will be an Escape Hybrid and a Fusion Hybrid.

HEY!!! My Edge was a year old yesterday!!!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm already here. I'm exercising the E-C member-by-former-ownership clause.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That's because it was in invisible CSS text.

Was.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
jpark said:
My dealer sent me a flyer today telling me that my Edge is in very high demand in this area, and they'll give me $25,000 for it right now. I have an idea that I'll be able to get out of the Edge lease easily if I want to.

I really think that our next two cars will be an Escape Hybrid and a Fusion Hybrid.

And you forgot to tell it happy birthday?!? :shock: :bang: :spank:

I'll say it ...... :happy: Happy birthday, Bono!! (and yes, I get it!!) :happy:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Dasha said:
jpark said:

And you forgot to tell it happy birthday?!? :shock: :bang: :spank:

I'll say it ...... :happy: Happy birthday, Bono!! (and yes, I get it!!) :happy:
You get that but didn't get my saying the other day? lol

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
That word was hard for me. I guess it was for you too. Hard, that is. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:stifle:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Let's keep our mouths out of this.

:shock: :bill:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.