Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2009 Escape, does anyone know where the light sensor is for the automatic headlights? I don't think the lights come on soon enough, and they turn off too soon.

If the dealer cannot electronically adjust the sensitivity, I'm hoping I can find the sensor and put something over the sensor to reduce the amount of light hitting it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm not certain, but it seems to me there is a little blister at the top center of the dash, next to the windshield. That ought to be it!
:yes:

How about using a post-it note pad page to move around and see how well that works? :shrug:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are right Jonas... The light sensor on my Falcon is on the dash too.

It's funny that my tribute has the same sensor on the dash. Maybe the top of the line Tribs in japan had the auto lights feature.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonas1022 said:
I'm not certain, but it seems to me there is a little blister at the top center of the dash, next to the windshield. That ought to be it!

How about using a post-it note pad page to move around and see how well that works? :shrug:
That was my first guess too. But from what I can see of it, there's no sensor on any of its sides. I even looked through the windshield trying to see something on the front face. I'm going to look at it a bit more and in the sun.

I'm also thinking it could be on the back of the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the Aussie Escapes (and Tributes) post 06, that sensor is the sunload sensor for the climate control. Pre then, its a blank...
Same for the Fairmonts/Fairlanes here - Sunload sensor in the middle front of the dash works out how much sun is coming in your window so the CC can adjust and be smarter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DaveJ said:
jonas1022 said:

That was my first guess too. But from what I can see of it, there's no sensor on any of its sides. I even looked through the windshield trying to see something on the front face. I'm going to look at it a bit more and in the sun.

I'm also thinking it could be on the back of the rear view mirror.
The blister on the dash is it, at least on the 08 it is because I dropped a piece of paper over it and the lights came on. I also have been searching to see if the light level required to turn the lights on can be adjusted, I haven't had any luck.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
On North American 2008 and newer models, the sunload sensor is definitely the "bubble" in the top center of the instrument panel, and it's tied into the climate controls on models equipped with that sensor. This is why 2008+ E/M/Ts without the sensor and automatic climate controls will always light the headlamps when the doors are unlocked with the remote. Models with the sensor will only light the headlamps when the doors are unlocked in darker conditions.

On 2005-2007 models, the light sensor was an add-on plate and "bubble" on the left top corner of the instrument panel. On 2004 and earlier models, automatic headlamps were controlled by a special inside rear-view mirror.

The light level cannot be electronically adjusted on 2005 and newer models. If the headlamps light up only when the light level is fairly dark, you can try to slightly darken or cut off light to the sunload sensor's dome to compensate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, you're right about the blister in the center of the dash being the light sensor. I shined a bright flashlight on it and it switched the lights on and off. With the flashlight I could also see through the top of the blister and see the light sensor.

For now, I took about a little square of translucent scotch tape and stuck it on the top of the blister. I haven't had the opportunity to see how well it works.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clear tape over the top of the blister didn't do anything. I took it off and used a piece of black electrical tape to cover the top and a little bit on two sides. The lights come on a little bit earlier now, but I may change it to a larger piece and see what happens. It seems like light enters the blister on all sides and the top. I initially thought light entered just from the top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jpark said:
On North American 2008 and newer models, the sunload sensor is definitely the "bubble" in the top center of the instrument panel, and it's tied into the climate controls on models equipped with that sensor. This is why 2008+ E/M/Ts without the sensor and automatic climate controls will always light the headlamps when the doors are unlocked with the remote. Models with the sensor will only light the headlamps when the doors are unlocked in darker conditions.

On 2005-2007 models, the light sensor was an add-on plate and "bubble" on the left top corner of the instrument panel. On 2004 and earlier models, automatic headlamps were controlled by a special inside rear-view mirror.

The light level cannot be electronically adjusted on 2005 and newer models. If the headlamps light up only when the light level is fairly dark, you can try to slightly darken or cut off light to the sunload sensor's dome to compensate.
So, I have an '06 Escape and I am about to add the multifunction switch with "Auto" on the headlight portion. I don't have a sensor as best I can tell. I guess my question is what else does it take to retrofit auto headlamps other than the correct switch (which I just got on eBay), the sensor (any clue where to get it or what the part number is?), and maybe a relay (same question about part numbers).

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems that you did not get any further advice months ago, but based on the location of the "light sensor", I would say that installing one would require removal of the entire dashboard assembly which would be a major PITA.

Also possible that the replacement "Autolamp" switch could even have a different connector configuration which probably means a whole different wiring harness.

Some things just are not made to be "upgraded". Unlike shocks, brakes, air filters etc which are dead easy.
Maybe at over a decade old, time for a newer one with the features you desire? Just sayin'.

So, how did it all turn out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am hoping someone here can help me with my 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. I have a sunlight sensor on the left hand corner of top of dash. I have been to ford several times now and they have ordered three different parts none have been right. On my escape there is a hold on top left hand side of dash I have the sensor number 13A018 already but I cannot find anywhere that shows or part number for the ring or plate that holds the sensor. I have photos from ford of my dash but it does not show my escape as having a sensor on the dash.Does anyone have the part number or even a photo of ring or plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.