Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Australia!

Just bought a 2005 escape at 82000kms, last service was a log book service at 60000kms. other than that i have no information about the car. I don't really want to wait for anything to happen to my transmission before i start paying attention to it.

so question is, what do i do with the transmission fluid? I have no idea if it has been changed before. I've checked it, the level is fine, no burnt smell but colour isn't bright red as well.

also is there a way to tell what type of fluid is inside? i mean, when the fluid needs to be topped up, how do the mechanics know what type of fluid to use?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your owner's manual should tell you what transmission fluid is specified for your vehicle's year and transmission. I have a 2005 Escape, 3.0L, and it uses Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid. I also have a 2007 Escape and it uses Mercon-V. I guess it'd be too easy to allow both my vehicles to use the same fluid. Your Escape almost certainly has whichever fluid is called for in your owner's manual.

Oh, and howdy from Colorado, USA.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're just not sure or able to pinpoint it, do a flush. Not a power flush. Just do the Prowler method. I used the 7-6-3 method to make sure you get the fluid out. That's what I did with my 2001 and 15,000 miles later, no problems whatsoever. I'm now using Mercon V.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I read on here or maybe another site the CD4E did not like to be flushed so I just bought a couple of gallons of Mercon fluid at Wal-Mart and I did a drain and refill (took about a gallon each time) every time I changed the engine oil. Did this 4 times and called it good. Fluid is nice and bright red now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my experience, Ford transmissions do not like to be messed with. I have 88,000 miles (roughly 141,622.272 kilometres) and I have never done anything with my transmission fluid, etc. I'm not sure if you take your Escape to get an oil change, or do it yourself but take it to an oil change place, have them inspect it. Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
KOD said:
In my experience, Ford transmissions do not like to be messed with. I have 88,000 miles (roughly 141,622.272 kilometres) and I have never done anything with my transmission fluid, etc.
:shock:

You're brave, but if it works for you, do it.

Flushing and power flushing are two very different things. I guess I should have said "fluid exchange" instead. As long as you're using the vehicles own pump to circulate the fluid, you'll be fine. It's the machines that push the fluid through the system that can dislodge "debris" and cause issues. I go a little overboard and do a drain and fill every other oil change. Waste of money to some, but piece of mind to me. I never allow it to get dirty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts