Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to allow the aux power outlet at the bottom of the HAV controls to power up and down with the key. My new 2010 Escape XLT keeps this power outlet powered up after the key is removed. (It is a problem with my GPS) In my wifes Chrysler there are two fuse positions (1) always on or (2) controlled by the key. You just move the fuse to change the mode. Does Ford have something similar?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not that I am aware of. You would need to rewire it to key power. On my Escape, the outlet in the console is controlled by the key and the one on the dash is hot all the time, or maybe it is vice-versa. In any case, I do have one outlet that is key controlled, but mine is a 2005 model.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. My 01 has power all the time to ther lower one in the console and the one mounted up near the radio (technically the cig lighter) has power with the key one. I run into the same problem with my GPS staying on with the bottom unit, but don't think it's worth the effort to try to re-wire it. I don't think you can just do a fuse swap. It's in the wiring. Perhaps JP's expertise would help in this are if you are willing to try.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yeah you would need to rewire it, or just and add a switch to the line. But in any case you would have to cut wire.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like the fact that the power is on when removing the key in my 2010 XLT. I like to leave my cell phone charging when I run errands or go to the gym and leave the car for an hour or so. I grew up with VW which they all have that. I am not sure if the one behind the center console is key wired or not.

When I had a radar detector, I hard wired that to the key. I personally hate seeing any extra wires so mine ran under the head liner and down the front beam and behind the dash. Totally hidden. I would do something similar if I had a GPS unit. I even hate the extra wire on my Ipod to the USB port. I coil it up and zip-tie the coil together to minimize the length.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Your GPS shouldn't draw much current so you can just plug it into the cigar lighter. I run much more current with a laptop and inverter off the cigar lighter, after I found out my laptop would trickle charge its battery at night and trickle uncharge the car's battery.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
About 10 amps

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
sinister mob said:
I like the fact that the power is on when removing the key in my 2010 XLT. I like to leave my cell phone charging when I run errands or go to the gym and leave the car for an hour or so. I grew up with VW which they all have that. I am not sure if the one behind the center console is key wired or not.

When I had a radar detector, I hard wired that to the key. I personally hate seeing any extra wires so mine ran under the head liner and down the front beam and behind the dash. Totally hidden. I would do something similar if I had a GPS unit. I even hate the extra wire on my Ipod to the USB port. I coil it up and zip-tie the coil together to minimize the length.
Just what he said. I like to hardwire things into the car that I drive the most. I get an extra power cord and use that to move into the other cars as necessary. Radar detectors are not in my F-150 or Bullitt, but I used to have one and did the exact same thing in a Mercury and later an F-250 that was my only wheel at one time. GPS is all that I carry about now. I just keep it under ten above the posted limit. Saves on the beeping and buzzing. No worries about laser either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.