Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a pretty easy going driver. I've been getting lower-than-expected fuel mileage, and im wondering what are the avergaes of the rest of the escape community? Im careful to accelerate, so I dont understand. I do mostly city driving, and get anywhere form 15-17 mpg. I own a 2009 escape 4 cyl 2.5L

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
21.65 mpg is my current average of the last 5 fill-ups. On the extremes I've had lowest of around 17, (I crawled over 30 miles to work on snow with the 4x4 engaged and staying in lower gears) and a curious high of 25 which I'm not sure how happened. 21 is my overall average though.

My driving habits are I take off from a stop quickly, I drive to work on small country roads (not even a yellow line) that have lots of 90 degree curves and I have to brake and downshift fairly frequently. I also drive the Manual transmission, which may affect mileage compared to an Auto. Overall I'd say I don't drive with fuel economy in mind, however I have tried to and not noticed much difference.

I have the older I4, the newer I4 has more horsepower, so I assume a little more fuel consumption, however you do seem to have pretty low mileage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
2005 v6 4x4 automatic, so far best is 16.6, im going to drive to columbus this weekend, so i will b able to check highway milage, it better get better.

·
Registered
293 Posts
wow you guys must drive with the loud pedal to the floor all the time. I am what I consider myself as a very spirited driver, and average 19 City and 23 Hwy, 2008 Escape XLT v6 4x4

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jeff M said:
wow you guys must drive with the loud pedal to the floor all the time. I am what I consider myself as a very spirited driver, and average 19 City and 23 Hwy, 2008 Escape XLT v6 4x4
i drive pretty conservative, and use 93 octane. i have close to 63,000 miles. i wonder if its time for new spark plugs? i would love to get 19-23mpg

·
Registered
836 Posts
My 2010, 2.5L I4, AWD gets 22-23 mpg AVERAGE. In the winter it was down to about 20 mpg and the 1 month of warm weather last year I was averaging 24-ish. I purchased in October 2009 so I don't have any hot weather mpg average data. I predict about 24-25 average. Also I only use 87 octane.

·
Registered
293 Posts
87 only here too. No need for 93 in the Escape. The motor is tune to run on it, and you only get minimal gains by upping to 93 without using a tuner and getting a plug in the correct heat range for what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
197 Posts
2001 V6 2wd 108,000 miles
I average about 18 mpg in the city before I replaced my tires with bigger ones. It threw my speedo off by 3mph but it gave me better gas mileage. Now I'm a little over 19 mpg with A/T's believe it or not. Less revolutions helps in some cases I guess. I just did a 3,600 mile trek across country and averaged about 27 mpg on the interstate. Before hand, I had changed the plugs, upper and lower intake gaskets, fuel filter, replace the brake booster (infamous leak). That was more preventative than anything. Didn't wanna chance it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2010 limited v6 and usually am getting around 23.9. I use 93 octane as well. Probably don't need it but oh well. I'm about to drive from IL to FL so We'll see how heavy Highway milage is. Currently I drive mainly 55mph+ roads.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
minnesotaart said:
Wouldn't the larger tires also throw off the odometer and, by extension, your gas mileage calculation?
I'll have to do some figuring, math isn't my strongest subject but I have the data in a spreadsheet, I just need to apply the speed difference due to tires.

I'm going to guess my speedo is set for stock tires P225/70R15 (Is that correct?) I have P255/75R15.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Airmapper said:
minnesotaart said:
Wouldn't the larger tires also throw off the odometer and, by extension, your gas mileage calculation?
I'll have to do some figuring, math isn't my strongest subject but I have the data in a spreadsheet, I just need to apply the speed difference due to tires.

I'm going to guess my speedo is set for stock tires P225/70R15 (Is that correct?) I have P255/75R15.
Your not gonna be off by much, if at all, cause your went from 255/70 to 255/75 which is a 5% increase in height.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
oskerb said:
Airmapper said:
minnesotaart said:

Your not gonna be off by much, if at all, cause your went from 255/70 to 255/75 which is a 5% increase in height.
I think stock is 225 and I have 255. (Yeah that got me too a couple times, it's hard to see those repeated 2's and 5's)

I done some quick figuring.

I used this to compare stock to my current tires circumference: LINK

I figured up how many more feet per mile I get out of the larger tires (511.3) converted it to miles (0.0968371212)

Now I added that to my last odometer reading. 233*0.0968371212+233/(last fill up gallons) 11.0335= my new MPG of 23.20206643404178

21.12 using odometer, so 2 or so MPG difference, if i did my math right.

·
Registered
420 Posts
pulled neg battery cable off for a while to reset the tranny computer...and got 20 mpg on a 4 hour trip... not sure if its related but im happy now with mpg, and its still showing 19.6 even with city driving

·
Registered
390 Posts
'02 3.0 V6. I use regular gas, 85 octane around here, really no need for more, and get 17 in town, about 22 av. high way. Best long trip was 25+.
IMHO, Unless you have a custom tune, turbo/ supercharger that can take advantage of, or high performance high compression ratio, high octane fuel is a waste of $$.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
With new intake I'm getting 18.6 in city haven't taken her on the highway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Worst was 17.5 for 1/2 tank of 100% city (<=60km/h) during a cold & snowy spell. Best 29.4 for 100% highway Vancouver<-->Kelowna through the mountains. Lifetime average of 21.6USMPG ~80/20 city/highway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts