Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the JL Audio "Flatwedge" sub for a couple months now. (Part number CP108LG-W3v3.) Here it is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_13693133/J ... tml?tp=112

It is hands-down the best 8-inch sub I've ever heard. Most of my passengers assume it's a 10 or a 12, and make me prove otherwise!

I bought it because I could completely conceal it under a customized floor at just a little above stock height. (i.e. about one inch.) I can deal with an inch since it saves me the trouble of building my own custom box.

For anyone else contemplating a minimalist false-floor sub setup in their Escape, the Flatwedge is highly recommended. I thought the glowing customer reviews at Crutchfield were hyperbole until I installed it. (FYI, I'm powering it with an Alpine Class D mono amp rated 300 watts at 4 ohms.)

My current floor is a work in progress. My original build (used for a couple months) worked fine, but I wanted to make it stronger. This time I'll have some access hinges and other goodies, so maybe it's not QUITE "minimalist" after all... but still simple compared to what some people on here have done. Kudos to you guys! You've done amazing work, but I just don't want to take it quite that far. I want solid bass, with hidden components, under a floor I can still put heavy things upon. I've been pleasantly surprised though; like I said, this little guy is amazing, and I got considerably more bass than I was expecting! I should also note that it can handle all types of music with a little tweaking. (Which is good because I have eclectic taste.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is covered. Looks stock!

And here it is open. Gotta love recessed hinges! I could've done a little more bracing on the left, but it's already super-strong, plus I want easy-access to the amp controls. Got a little storage compartment up front now too!
(Sorry that some of these pictures are a tad washed-out.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are rear storage compartments as well. I wanted this lid to open the other way (like the main amp/sub compartment lid does). However, it just wasn't going to work out due to the overhang of the MDF sheeting at the rear, which is necessary for maximum coverage and strength.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been very pleased with the results. I was worried about the acoustics, but my sub sounds as strong as ever. I also thought I'd need more sound deadening. Yet I'm pleased to report that rattling is almost nonexistent. Indeed, the only rattles seem to come not from my cargo area, but from my DOORS, where I have some Polk Audio DB571 speakers. (And these rattles are very minor, but I'll probably get around to killing them someday anyway.) I DID however put felt stickers between the lids of the false floor and the frame. I'm sure I'd be having a bit of unwanted noise back there if it wasn't for those.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol: (Sorry for my failure to consolidate all this info into fewer posts!) :lol:

FYI, the sub is held in place with L-brackets which are mounted to the floor. The amp is simply screwed down.

I was also thinking about adding a lock. However, a reasonably strong individual could probably just rip it out, so it hardly seems worthwhile. Although it WOULD keep the sub from dislodging as the lid opens in the event I ever roll this baby over! (Granted, in that scenario, I've got bigger problems than my audio gear...)

I've been thinking maybe I should paint it, but I'm told MDF can be difficult to paint well. I was also thinking maybe I'd just spray it with that bedliner stuff they use for pickup trucks, and make it virtually INDESTRUCTIBLE! (Yeah, I'm kinda weird, I know.) But I'm not sure if that material will get along with MDF any better than paint. Plus I worry it could negatively impact my sound quality. Any input on the matter would be most welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.