Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, got in the Maverick to go to work, sets off and noticed that the car drove like a bag of $%&%.

Got to work, opened the bonnet, and took the plug leads off, which revealed my spark plugs were underwater :doh:

Yep, the headgasket has blown :censor: :censor:

Limped it back home after dinner (1/2 day today, due to classroom training), but cannot get hold of a gasket until Saturday, no matter wether its a OEM or pattern one.

Just hope the car lasts while then, should be ok, only needs to go 8 miles/day, will just have to take it steady whilst keeping an eye on the temp gauge...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
As we say where I work...

MED STAT II, CODE BLUE!!

(CODE BLUE IS FOR MAN DOWN, MEDICAL STATUS II IS FOR THE NURSES TO COME RUNNING)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :thumb:

Well, ordered a new head gasket, oil filter and manifold gasket tonight, should be with me in a couple of days, will obtain new oil and coolant later, BTW, anybody know which colour coolant I should use, or indeed oil that I should put in the car...?

I have to say I'm a bit "Hacked off" with this, why should the gasket have blown, the car is well serviced, wants for nothing, and ran perfectly yesterday, no warning signs were shown for this at all :rant:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Cam. I'd be a bit peeved too. Good luck getting it fixed up!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :thumb:

Well, ordered a new head gasket, oil filter and manifold gasket tonight, should be with me in a couple of days, will obtain new oil and coolant later, BTW, anybody know which colour coolant I should use, or indeed oil that I should put in the car...?

I have to say I'm a bit "Hacked off" with this, why should the gasket have blown, the car is well serviced, wants for nothing, and ran perfectly yesterday, no warning signs were shown for this at all :rant:
This is what I put in mine (FOMOCO out of the Owners manual)

5w20 Full Synthetic Blend
Motorcraft Gold Engine Coolant

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll find out what oil the 2.0L takes tonight for you when i get home, i have a bottle sitting in mav from when i got him.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,597 Posts
How are the repairs coming????? :confused:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, finally got the Maverick repaired today, the total cost of parts (inc oil and coolant) came to £148.95, and managed to get our mechanic at work to do the job for the price of a couple of pints of "Timothy Taylors Landlord", total cost of £5.15.... :yahoo:

My local Ford dealer charge was £850.00 for doing the same job :shock: :shock:

Glad to say the Maverick is now up and running :thumb:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that, the Maverick's running better than ever now :yahoo:

Hopefully thats the last major mechanical work it needs for at least a year, but we shall see

·
Registered
105 Posts
camusdarrach said:

Hopefully thats the last major mechanical work it needs for at least a year, but we shall see
heres hoping, especially since theres a big list of toys you want for your mav

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mgkars said:
camusdarrach said:

heres hoping, especially since theres a big list of toys you want for your mav
He he, there are a few things that I would like, such as a Bull Bar, front spotlights on both the bar and roofrack, getting the roofrack powdercoated in black, tinted windows in the rear to keep the sunlight away from the kids, getting the alloy wheels refurbished, and a set of twin headlamps.....

But, I may just trade the Maverick in for another 4X4, got my eye on a Landrover Defender 110 doublecab, coming up for sale with only 1 previous owner, and 6500 miles on the clock..

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I'm glad you didn't have any head damage, that was a "quick" repair. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts