Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the 2010 escape xlt, do you think i can get an OEM backup camera installed? even if its just the mirror?

·
Registered
574 Posts
That's a good question and something I would be interested in getting put into my 09 Escape XLT.

Now when you changed your wheels to the 17" alloy wheels how much did they run you, and what did you do with your 16's?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The OEM camera can only be installed on a 2010 or newer Escape, unless you want to replace the liftgate. It also appears that you need Sync, and if you buy the factory rear-view mirror, you'll also need a different mirror connector, because there are more pins on that mirror.

The camera is mounted where the 2008-2009 models had the liftgate release button, just above the license plate. The liftgate release button for all 2010 and newer models was relocated to a new recessed handle below the license plate.

If you have a 2010 model, you'd need to remove the inside liftgate cover to see if you have the connector for it. The service manual isn't clear about the existence of that connector on models without the camera.

But there's one more possible problem. The connections between the camera and mirror run through the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), and that would need to be "flashed" by a dealer to recognize the mirror and the camera.

Here are some of the wiring diagrams. I couldn't find the one for the camera no-navigation Sync connection, but I'll look again tomorrow:

For models with Sync and factory navigation:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... dio6-1.jpg

For models with Sync:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... dio8-1.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... elamps.jpg

I have to say that I'm 100% happy with the OEM camera, and it's definitely worth the add if you can do it. Mine is part of the factory navigation system, so I don't have the LCD mirror (although I was hoping that the mirror was also included). The image appears on the navigation screen when I shift into reverse. Even in complete darkness, the light from the reverse lamps lights up the entire area behind the car. I'll try to take a video of it later.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey jpark, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the video if you manage to make one.

Stealth, I bought the chrome rims off ebay for $569. They were taken off a 2010 escape and barely used. Got them in mint condition. Had to buy the tires at Ford. As for my original tires and rims...they only had about 1,700 miles on them. They looked so new. Sold them as a set of 4 for $850. Some guy in Iowa got a great deal lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
jpark said:
If you have a 2010 model, you'd need to remove the inside liftgate cover to see if you have the connector for it. The service manual isn't clear about the existence of that connector on models without the camera.
I have a 2010 XLT and I do not have the connectors to add the OEM backup camera. The wiring harness for the camera is not there. If your Escape came with the navigation, the harness might be there but I did not get the Navigation as it was not an available option for the XLT and the SAP.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katscan said:
jpark said:
I have a 2010 XLT and I do not have the connectors to add the OEM backup camera. The wiring harness for the camera is not there. If your Escape came with the navigation, the harness might be there but I did not get the Navigation as it was not an available option for the XLT and the SAP.
So I'd doubt they even wanna do it at the dealer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 limited with navigation, sync etc...just didn't get the back up camera. where do I check for the connector if I want to install a oem factory camera. how does the connector look like?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts