Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are about to retire and we wanted to buy our first hybrid we bought a used one that was from back East with rust and corrosion damage underneath we weren't aware of the extent until after we bought it we were told it was in great shape so we've spent almost $4,000 rebuilding the suspension the brakes the tie rod ends and ball joints plus new tires now we've had all this work done and mechanic could finish the work said I need to get the REAR backing plates replaced as they are corroded I've made many phone calls trying to find these from Ford from auto wreckers dealerships and have been unable to come up with them and have been told that the car will be unsafe to drive without them Ford doesn't make these anymore I don't understand why their vehicles are still on the road and the parts that I need for our vehicle or non-existent we need help gone through a lot of our savings for retirement trying to make this safe and roadworthy any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks guys.John and Cynthia

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
My wife and I are about to retire and we wanted to buy our first hybrid we bought a used one that was from back East with rust and corrosion damage underneath we weren't aware of the extent until after we bought it we were told it was in great shape so we've spent almost $4,000 rebuilding the suspension the brakes the tie rod ends and ball joints plus new tires now we've had all this work done and mechanic could finish the work said I need to get the REAR backing plates replaced as they are corroded I've made many phone calls trying to find these from Ford from auto wreckers dealerships and have been unable to come up with them and have been told that the car will be unsafe to drive without them Ford doesn't make these anymore I don't understand why their vehicles are still on the road and the parts that I need for our vehicle or non-existent we need help gone through a lot of our savings for retirement trying to make this safe and roadworthy any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks guys.John and Cynthia
Welcome to the city, John and Cynthia.
What is your year make and model John?
Have you tried eBay parts? You should be able to source something out of the Southwest US. You can see where the sellers are located.

I am sad that you got taken, I would think there would be some govt. type course of action for you to take, for someone misrepresenting the car so terribly.

is there a Canada BBB?

it sounds like you have been taken again by your local shop, how could they have not noticed the backing plates were gone when they told you you needed to spend four grand to repair your vehicle!
When they worked up an estimate for you, they would've been told right then that they could not get those parts, if that's true.

there are a lot of car parts that crossover from these vehicles, to different ford models.

some of the smarter folks might know what ford cars for you to look at.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Relax, the backing plate only secures the parking brake components. You have regular disc brakes in the rear, used for stopping. The parking or e-brake is a drum brakes system/design and reside on the backing plate. The backing plate can be removed, and you will still have normal brakes. You only lose the parking brake.

I posted a picture of your rear braking system. If you need help upstanding it, I'll be happy to go into more detail.

The 05-08 Escape hybrids (same vehicle) were very popular and the most sold of all of Ford's hybrids. There are plenty of them used.

Mountain escape is correct, check eBay. Email sellers (salvage yards) selling parts on ebay for your hybrid. They would be happy to sell all the parts for the parking brake system you need.

Good luck and it's not that bad.

Rectangle Parallel Font Screenshot Pattern

1 - 3 of 3 Posts