Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Backup Cameras

39227 Views 85 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  festus105
Any yall's with fancy kenwood (or other) h/u running backup cameras? Where mounted? Inside/Outside?
1 - 15 of 86 Posts
Same here. I'm trying to find the part number for the factory camera in the Flex, which is integrated into the rear Ford emblem. It looks like it's the same size as the one on the Edge.

My nav system does have a video input and a reverse-lamp input, according to the schematics, but Ford also offers a factory Gentex inside rear-view mirror with an LCD screen as an option on the F-150 and Expy.
sbkim said:
Anyone have any experiences with these cheaper ebay cameras?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKU ... dZViewItem

I see that CCD is much better than CMOS technology but there is a signficant price diff between the two.

Thanks!
The one thing that really stands out about that model is that it can be easily removed/stolen.

Several people in an Edge forum use the Boyo VTL200 (chrome) or VTL300 (black) license-plate cameras. These metal-framed (zinc-alloy, no rust) cameras are bolted in from the inside of the liftgate, so they can't be stolen. They're also CCD, 512x492 pixels in NTSC form (slightly smaller than the one you listed above), but with much lower minimum illumination (0.3-0.5 lux vs. 2 lux), and vertically adjustable. They're also more expensive, but still well under $200.

There are also plastic-framed versions: VTL110 (chrome) and VTL120 (black).

http://tinyurl.com/778xwq

PS... thanks for the e-mail reply!
:thumb:
You'll need to remove the trim inside the liftgate. I'll put up a how-to post tomorrow morning, but it's fairly easy to do, especially if you can do it in a warm area.

Once that panel is removed, you can see the upper license plate bolts (from what I remember, you had an '05/'06/'07 model, right?). You should probably drill two new lower license plate holes at the same time.

PS... from what I've seen, the infrared LEDs do light up some of the area covered by the camera, but the camera's brightness balance circuits then make the area not covered by the LEDs even darker.

I'd go with a camera that doesn't have any infrared LEDs in it. Just my .02.
Uh-oh. 2002 (2001-2004) Escapes used non-grounded reverse lamps. Does the camera have both active-low and active-high reverse inputs?

You'll find a BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire in the harness under the driver-side scuff plate. That wire will be grounded when the reverse lamps are on, and in series with both reverse lamps to a +12V circuit active only in RUN and START when the lamps are off (so it's not a reliable +12V at all times).

If the camera has only one reverse input (and it's usually active high only, which means that it must be set to +12V when the reverse lamps are on), you'll need to invert that input. It's easy to do with a transistor and two resistors.

Let me know what you find, and we can go from there.

:D
jpark said:
Uh-oh. 2002 (2001-2004) Escapes used non-grounded reverse lamps. Does the camera have both active-low and active-high reverse inputs?

You'll find a BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire in the harness under the driver-side scuff plate. That wire will be grounded when the reverse lamps are on, and in series with both reverse lamps to a +12V circuit active only in RUN and START when the lamps are off (so it's not a reliable +12V at all times).

If the camera has only one reverse input (and it's usually active high only, which means that it must be set to +12V when the reverse lamps are on), you'll need to invert that input. It's easy to do with a transistor and two resistors.

Let me know what you find, and we can go from there.

I mentioned above that the reverse feed for the 2001-2004 Escape will not work correctly with any device that needs an active-high reverse input (which means +12V when in reverse). The 2001-2004 Escape uses a switch that's grounded and not the bulbs. Whoever installed the AVIC probably didn't know that (since active-low is pretty rare in any newer car), and while they may have connected a reverse wire at the AVIC, my guess is that if you follow that wire, it's not connected to anything in the car!

You need to invert the Escape's reverse signal using a transistor and a resistor. Under the driver-side scuff plate, you'll find one harness. That harness should contain a BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire. Tap into that wire and run it to a 4.7K (4,700 ohm, 1/8W or 1/4W) resistor. Run the other side of that resistor to the base (B) of a 2N3906 transistor, or any small-signal PNP transistor. The emitter (E) of the transistor goes to the same +12V used by the camera, and the collector (C) of the transistor goes directly to the AVIC's reverse input.

If you don't want to get involved with electronics, you can also do this with a small 12V relay (I only mention the electronic method because there are no moving parts to wear out or burn out). Run the same wire (tapped into the BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire under the driver-side scuff plate) to one side of the relay coil. Run the other side of the relay coil to the same +12V used by the camera. Connect the COMMON relay contact to the same +12V. Finally, connect the NORMALLY OPEN (NO) relay contact to the AVIC's reverse input.

I had a drawing of the transistor method, but I can't find it. I can make one if you want!
See less See more
:lol:

Maybe they run through the firewall and just stop.

At least the VSS sensor should work normally.
sbkim said:
Jpark - given that I am a electronics idiot (remember the LED installation experience :lol: ), it sounds like the relay is the way to go.
I thought that we made a pretty good team during that install!

And I'd go with the transistor, but that's me.

Any chance you can provide me item number from radioshack that I can pick up and where to stick the wires? - :hyst: I am almost embarassed typing this on the forum. Is the black and pink stripe wire close to the fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel?
Yes, but it's easier to find the wire by removing the scuff plate (the plate the runs across the bottom of the driver's door opening) next to (and instead of) the kick panel. There's only one harness under there, and that wire is inside that harness. That wire does not go to the fuse panel.

I'll try to put together a diagram tomorrow.

Also, I guess it's a bit of an overkill, but I guess I could run a wire all the way from the back (backup light lead) - see page 12??
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... Manual.pdf
No. Again, the location of the wire isn't the problem. The problem is the polarity of the 2001-2004 Escape's reverse signal. It's grounded when in reverse, instead of +12V when in reverse, the opposite of most cars, including 2005 and newer E/M/Ts. In other words, instead of the bulbs being grounded and connected to a switch to +12V, it's the other way around: the switch is grounded and connected to bulbs that are connected to +12V.

Thanks again Jpark!

UPDATE: I just started my car and noticed that backup camera view was active (full screen) even though I had not put the car in reverse (???). The full mode should come up only after putting the car in reverse. If I change my view to NAV and go back to camera view, the full screen is gone.

UPDATE 2: I can check the wiring status under Hardware Status menu of D2 and noticed that reverse shows "low" regardless of being in reverse. I believe it should show "high" So I believe you are correct - installer didn't hook it up correctly. Another FYI, Pioneer provides additional reverse lead wire which has some resistor/fuse in line.
More evidence that maybe the reverse lead is connected, but since the polarity is wrong, it's working the opposite way as well.

I didn't see anything on an additional reverse lead in that installation manual. What color is the wire?

Overall I am pretty happy given that the camera works well. In fact, I am starting to like how the camera (full screen) turns on automatically when I start my car...
Once this is hooked up correctly, the camera will show only in reverse.
See less See more
sbkim said:
You are the best! My Escape wouldn't be the same without JPark. :D
The check is in the mail.

Ok, the reverse lead wire is purple/white from the Pioneer head unit. The lead wire supposedly has some resistor on it but I don't see it.

Also, within the headunit there is a way to change the polarity from battery or ground. Not sure what this meant but it sounds like it may come into play with us???

Touch "POLARITY" to select an appropriate
setting for polarity.
Each time you touch "POLARITY" switches
between the following polarity:
• BATTERY - When the polarity of the connected
lead is positive while the shift lever
is in the REVERSE (R) position
• GND - When the polarity of the connected
lead is negative while the shift lever is in the
REVERSE (R) position

We have a winner!

That "polarity" setting must be on some setting menu on the AVIC.

OK, here's what you need to do:

1) Remove the driver-side scuff plate (the plastic piece on the floor at the bottom of the door opening). It's secured by two pushpin fasteners.
2) Find out where that AVIC reverse wire is connected, and disconnect it. You can cut it, but make sure you insulate the part still running through the firewall. I'd try to trace it, though, and disconnect it from wherever it is connected (if connected).
3) The single harness that runs under the scuff plate contains a BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire. Tap into that wire and connect it to the AVIC's reverse wire lead (PURPLE with WHITE STRIPE).
4) Touch that "polarity" setting and try to shift into REVERSE. If the camera is on when NOT in reverse, touch that "polarity" setting again. It should now work properly.

If you think transistor is the way to go, then I will follow your advice. Just trying to figure out what's the easiest way to make this darn camera work going into reverse.

Thanks a million!
No transistor will now be necessary. I knew that there must have been some kind of polarity setting or extra wire!!!
See less See more
sbkim said:
UPDATE - No surprise here... followed Jpark's instructions and hooked up my reverse lead from AVIC to black/pink wire and all works perfectly!!! Thanks Jpark. So, now, the camera turns on and off when the car is in reverse!!

hattrick203 said:
wouldn't it...break off easy if someone wanted it :bang:
That VTL camera has a metal frame, and it's bolted from the inside. The hex nuts are recessed into the frame.

Unless you're a meticulous thief who just happens to have a powerful drill with a really good high-speed metal bit handy, it won't be easy to remove.
Where is the harness that's shown?

The easiest place to find the reverse (BLACK with PINK STRIPE) wire is in the single harness under the driver-side scuff plate.
Understood. As I said, that wire is inside the harness that you'll find under the driver-side scuff plate.
The standard reverse wire should work perfectly on any 2005 and newer E/M/T. The 2001-2004 models were the only years where the signal was grounded in reverse instead of +12V in reverse.
1 - 15 of 86 Posts