Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I might park my Escape next Thursday, I haven't been having much luck with those two things together lately....

A week ago Thursday, I went to a friends apartment building to pick her up and go to the gym. She has a two year old daughter she brings with us to the playground/daycare there. I offered to drive but my friend didn't want to disconnect the baby seat so we took her truck. 40 minutes into our workout we get a call from my friends roommate, "Eric's SUV was hit in the parking lot!" He said they called the police, no one was hurt, so we grab the toddler and head back.

A teenage girl, for some unexplained reason, flew backwards across the parking lot, clipped the front of my Escape and then smashed into the apartment building. The bumper is caved in and the left headlight is cracked but nothing else, simple replacement of the above items. The cops were there, writing up everything, her father was there too so I talked with him while everything was sorted out. No biggie, insurance will pay for it all. After a busy weekend I call the adjuster, he sets up an appointment to get it fixed (we both have Progressive so that was easy) but then I get a call saying the other insurance is invalid! :censor:

I call the number on the police report, which ends up being the daughters phone, who indignantly replies via text, "Who dis?" After she cusses at me a couple times she finally realizes who I am, apologizes and says she'll notify her dad. I'm a little irritated though, and drive over to her apt. and talk to her sister, the only one there. Finally I get the real story; the car didn't belong to anyone at the scene of the accident, it was borrowed from a family friend! :roll: Fortunately for me, someone gave the owner my contact info, and she called, had a guy do an estimate, and he ordered the parts all on her tab.

This Thursday, I was doing some furniture shopping with a friend, and I noticed my tire was low when I stopped for gas. While filling the tire, I heard the dreaded whistling, indicating an actual hole not a slow leak! I put in enough air to drive the last mile home, swapped it out with the donut and off to the tire shop I went. They can't patch any hole outside the center line but they sold me a kit. I did it myself but to no avail: it was too big. I must have driven over a Rambo style survival knife. I was already wanting to buy new tires soon, but soon became now and I decided to order some off Tirerack.com, which I've already got a thread going about here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=746

So now I'm rolling around with a spare on the left rear, also cracked left headlight, bumper hanging off, and of course the truck is filthy inside and out from all the rain and using it for hauling home improvement goodies! And to think, in only three years it will be mine! LMAO!

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here. :wall:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ajax said:
Well I think I might park my Escape next Thursday, I haven't been having much luck with those two things together lately....

A week ago Thursday, I went to a friends apartment building to pick her up and go to the gym. She has a two year old daughter she brings with us to the playground/daycare there. I offered to drive but my friend didn't want to disconnect the baby seat so we took her truck. 40 minutes into our workout we get a call from my friends roommate, "Eric's SUV was hit in the parking lot!" He said they called the police, no one was hurt, so we grab the toddler and head back.

A teenage girl, for some unexplained reason, flew backwards across the parking lot, clipped the front of my Escape and then smashed into the apartment building. The bumper is caved in and the left headlight is cracked but nothing else, simple replacement of the above items. The cops were there, writing up everything, her father was there too so I talked with him while everything was sorted out. No biggie, insurance will pay for it all. After a busy weekend I call the adjuster, he sets up an appointment to get it fixed (we both have Progressive so that was easy) but then I get a call saying the other insurance is invalid! :censor:

I call the number on the police report, which ends up being the daughters phone, who indignantly replies via text, "Who dis?" After she cusses at me a couple times she finally realizes who I am, apologizes and says she'll notify her dad. I'm a little irritated though, and drive over to her apt. and talk to her sister, the only one there. Finally I get the real story; the car didn't belong to anyone at the scene of the accident, it was borrowed from a family friend! :roll: Fortunately for me, someone gave the owner my contact info, and she called, had a guy do an estimate, and he ordered the parts all on her tab.

This Thursday, I was doing some furniture shopping with a friend, and I noticed my tire was low when I stopped for gas. While filling the tire, I heard the dreaded whistling, indicating an actual hole not a slow leak! I put in enough air to drive the last mile home, swapped it out with the donut and off to the tire shop I went. They can't patch any hole outside the center line but they sold me a kit. I did it myself but to no avail: it was too big. I must have driven over a Rambo style survival knife. I was already wanting to buy new tires soon, but soon became now and I decided to order some off Tirerack.com, which I've already got a thread going about here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=746

So now I'm rolling around with a spare on the left rear, also cracked left headlight, bumper hanging off, and of course the truck is filthy inside and out from all the rain and using it for hauling home improvement goodies! And to think, in only three years it will be mine! LMAO!

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here. :wall:
Crap!!! :fan: :fan: :fan: I can see why you don't want to do any encore performances on Thursday! :bill:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Ajax,

Sorry to hear about your luck.

Where are you going to be next Thursday? The reason I am asking is I want to be as fffffaaaaarrrrrr away as possible. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me and Thursday:

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
...other then that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear that we were in a hit and in San Francisco by a 5 ton construction truck he rolled over the top of my wife's 2007 Nissan Murano. I got out of the suv and asked, because we were waiting to turn right but there was a sign which said no turn on red well Califonia drivers as usual. Man I was pissed I got out and he it looked like it was already falling off. I said are you freaking kidding me, that was not the word I used being an old sailor and all, so the minute I turned around and thought he was going to get his insurance. That SOB got in his 5 ton truck and drove off. :rant: Then now even gets better!! Well out here not being or claiming to a native to California, the Police won't come do a accident report. You have to be hurt or dying. :bang: Well the final repair bill was $6200.00. :bill: THANK GOD for insurance, and let tell you I can't wait to get back to Alabama in 9 months. This place is crazy when comes to drivers.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
willyates1 said:
Sorry to hear that we were in a hit and in San Francisco by a 5 ton construction truck he rolled over the top of my wife's 2007 Nissan Murano. I got out of the suv and asked, because we were waiting to turn right but there was a sign which said no turn on red well Califonia drivers as usual. Man I was pissed I got out and he it looked like it was already falling off. I said are you freaking kidding me, that was not the word I used being an old sailor and all, so the minute I turned around and thought he was going to get his insurance. That SOB got in his 5 ton truck and drove off. :rant: Then now even gets better!! Well out here not being or claiming to a native to California, the Police won't come do a accident report. You have to be hurt or dying. :bang: Well the final repair bill was $6200.00. :bill: THANK GOD for insurance, and let tell you I can't wait to get back to Alabama in 9 months. This place is crazy when comes to drivers.
No one came out? How did you file your claim? Go to the cop shop? Surely the insurance just doesn't write a check...

Me, I would be laying on the pavements screaming my head off and wait till the meat wagon came and hauled me off. No more mr. nice guy. Next call: the lawyers...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MadMax said:
...other then that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?
:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here's some pics, as promised: original pics from the hit (taken on my phone)

the apartment building (I think it took the most damage)

The scratches to the bumper and cracked headlight, full of condensation:

And here she is, rocking the ghetto donut!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Wow. Sorry about all of that!

At least your front fender wasn't touched, so no paint matching is needed.

If you get to talk to whoever does the repairs, make sure that the replacement headlight is a Ford part, not a Depo (or other non-Ford) knockoff. The knockoffs scratch easily and turn yellow.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Wow, that's one tough Escape or one cheesy apartment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry I missed Sunday. That suv was so wrecked I couldn't drive it back, so we got a ride from the tow truck to SFPD. I had to file a report there on phone in front of bullet proof glass window, and i was not a happy camper. The SFPD wouldn't even give us aride to the subway, Sorry SOB's. :cuss: But yea we got the report from the SFPD and faxed it to USAA. The repair said it 6inches from being totaled. 8 months and couting till retirement and then the long drive back across the US. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
willyates1 said:
Sorry I missed Sunday. That suv was so wrecked I couldn't drive it back, so we got a ride from the tow truck to SFPD. I had to file a report there on phone in front of bullet proof glass window, and i was not a happy camper. The SFPD wouldn't even give us aride to the subway, Sorry SOB's. :cuss: But yea we got the report from the SFPD and faxed it to USAA. The repair said it 6inches from being totaled. 8 months and couting till retirement and then the long drive back across the US. :yahoo:
I'm guessing it must seem like a long 8 months to go. Especially after this frecas.

A kid rear ended my new 1984 Capri back in the day, nearly totalling it. A Dallas policeman stopped by to tell us to get the cars off the road.

I had told the kid if he moved his Beemer I was gonna bit** slap him within an inch of his life (I never touched him or anyone). He had wanted to drive away, but his passenger stopped him. Actually the car wouldn't have gone very far, the radiator and the front end were lying on the ground. He wasn't going to be touching anything especially that 320i.

I told the officer that I was hurt, and wanted an accident report written up. He said he was on the way to another accident. I said, then I'll wait right here till you come back and write your report. He got on the radio and called it in, and stayed with us to write up the report. Kids' Dad called me the next day and threatened me with a lawyer/court for assault. What a dork! I should have gone to the hospital screaming my head off, sued him and his stupid kid to within an inch of their lives, and donated the money to charity. But noooo. I had to be a nice guy. :doh: That was the thanks that I got for not going to the hospital and not getting a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MadMax said:
Wow, that's one tough Escape or one cheesy apartment.
A little of both lol. Most apartments down here are pretty cheesy. I saw them starting to fix it today. My bumper and headlight are on order (imagine that, no one has a No Boundaries bumper in stock :bang: ). The girl that hit me just barely grazed me on her way to assaulting the apartment complex.

I like the new tires I bought, I'll take pics when it's not raining and post them in the other thread Upsizing tires on factory rims

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Sorry about the damage to your Escape, but glad it wasn't worse!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts