Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody interested in putting larger tires on should know that the gear ratio on the 2nd gens can not be changed. So if you plan on going to a larger tire, say 32" you'll be bogged don and the engine and tranny will have to work extra hard to gain power. So instead of going to 33" with my next set i'm going to try 31.5 and see what the ride feels like. Can't wait! At least another yeAr on the 30's..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it even possible to fit some 31s? I've been considering going to some 245/75R16s but am not sure if they will fit. Also considering getting some rims with less offset, push the tires out a little bit further.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to cut the wheel wells because the E has suck nice cut lines. I have 30's right now with no rub. My next set will be whatever largest size I can go w/o putting too much stress on the engine and tranny. I do sheet metal for a living so I have everything I need to make the cuts and I can make whatever mods I may need in order to make it look pretty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys,
Does anyone no if I can put 255 75 17 Goodyear tires on 2009 Ranger 17" rims on my 2003 Escape without hitting inside the wheel wells?????
I don't care about the speedo, but I do care if they will work or not.
My good buddy sold me 5 almost new tires off his 2009 Jeep Wrangler for $100, they have about 1000 miles on them. So I wanted to get 17" Ranger rims or 17" escape rims and put them on my Escape. This would bring it up a bit and look great, but will they fit in the wheel well and rub bad when turning????

Also will Ranger rims fit or is the offset different???

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I run my Escape on P255/75R15 with no issues. I also know my rims have a FWD Offset, so a normal offset rim probably wont work because of potential binding issues, that and they will stick out the sides (which I think looks kinda cool actually.)

17" sounds a bit large for 255, that and the non offset rims might cause the front to rub. I don't know for sure but it sounds like it's going to be a tight squeeze if they were to fit in there.

I've found this helpful:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you mean by the normal rims will cause binding issues? Short of placing the tire slightly more to the outside the lines of the vehicle I guess I can't see what problems you might encounter.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A supervisor had an 07 Escape with Ranger aftermarket 10 hole chrome wheels he bought used from a buddy/neighbor. They did stick out, it did look a little strange for a while. The fronts did contact the fender lip openings. But only during some offroading. My opinion, is that if your on the road, there should be no problem.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what an engineer told. tires are rutted and grooved. the bub will eventually turn into a groove and they way we "daily drivers drive or off-road it will not cause any problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am debatting going with 31x10.5-15 or 33x12.5-15 this summer.My 30's have 4 years on them now and still have around 10/32 tread depth but I figure its time for a change.They had 16.5/32 when new, damn things wear like iron

·
Registered
293 Posts
265 70 16 is the equivalent of a 31 x 10.50" tire. I had them on my 02 Ford Explorer. I'm wondering if they will fit on the Escape.
I still have about 10k left on the stockers, so I guess I'll find out in the winter.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a little over an inch with my 30's at a full turn either way on the '08. They tech said the gas milage may drop but thats to be expected.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jay said:
I am debatting going with 31x10.5-15 or 33x12.5-15 this summer.My 30's have 4 years on them now and still have around 10/32 tread depth but I figure its time for a change.They had 16.5/32 when new, damn things wear like iron
Jay you may have to change your axle gearing to go to 33. cost about $1,200.00 and you would have to cut the wheel wells unless you found a lift you haven't shared about?

·
Registered
30 Posts
megascape said:
jay said:
Jay you may have to change your axle gearing to go to 33. cost about $1,200.00 and you would have to cut the wheel wells unless you found a lift you haven't shared about?
my lift consists of canuck motorsport lift springs and a 1.5"strut mount spacer in the front to get rid of the factory rake.I will likely go with 31's so I can still wheel it offroad with no tire/fender contact.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love Canuck Motorsports. those guys were so easy to work with. Since I didn't look at your info before i posted this, where are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
megascape said:
jay said:
You found a place willing to regear? Both front and rear? I was unaware the Escape had that ability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jay said:
megascape said:
jay said:
my lift consists of canuck motorsport lift springs and a 1.5"strut mount spacer in the front to get rid of the factory rake.I will likely go with 31's so I can still wheel it offroad with no tire/fender contact.
How are the CV angles when flexed? Can you take advantage of the full lift capability with the sway bar connected? I'd love to see what it can do disconnected.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lynwood WAShington is the only place that will do it that I've found. but with out the 4WLO in my opinion it's not worth spending the money. regardless of tires size if you can't make it in 4HI you just can't make it in 4HI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How are the CV angles when flexed? Can you take advantage of the full lift capability with the sway bar connected? I'd love to see what it can do disconnected.[/quote]
The cv angles are not to bad when fully flexed.I added strut extender up front and 2" longer shocks in the rear,also went with 4" longer braided stainles brake lines just in case.I usually pull the sway bar end links before heading out wheeling unless it's to play in the mud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
megascape said:
I love Canuck Motorsports. those guys were so easy to work with. Since I didn't look at your info before i posted this, where are you located?
located in Saint John N.B.Canada.I second what you said about canuck motorsports

1 - 20 of 22 Posts