Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the very best possible head unit navigation experience, with full iPod control.

I have seen some on this forum choose Pioneer...they are one of the top units, and even feature a very SYNC-like voice command, even using the same "SYNC-lady" voice. Oddly, folks go out of their way to preserve the factory SYNC, when Pioneer seems to have their own, which also allow voice input of NAV destinations.

Here are the top contenders, as I have discovered so far:
  • Pioneer Z120BT - Flagship NAV with SYNC like voicecommand, Pandora radio...traffic discontinued in 2011...CON: many NAV complainers on 'net[/*]
  • JVC KW-NT3HDT - Best ever NAV interface...free traffic...good iPod...CON: No voice command. No back panel iPod/USB jack.[/*]
  • Kenwood DNX9960 - Voice command, great Garmin NAV. CON: Has popup advertisements to support its free traffic...soso iPod[/*]
  • SONY XNV-770BT - Pretty TomTom based NAV...too new for reviews or feedback that I can find.[/*]

All of the above except Pioneer have Speed Limit display, which is great for avoiding tickets in town when they suddenly drop the speed limit. JVC claims additional secondary road coverage has been added this year.

It is important to me to have easy switching from NAV/Music and back. Nice if NAV displays music track, and music screen displays current street name. Sony website has a teaser photo in which NAV even has an album art popup.

Voice Command is great, although the SYNC preserving trick likely exists for any head unit. That said, voice input of address destination is way cooler than typing. (And potentially less distracting/dangerous.)

Audio quality is a big question mark...most reviews don't go into that really at all. I know fourthmeal is big on which units might have higher quality pre-outs, etc.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Pioneer, hands down. Even the x910 model is great. Nav can be modded in most situations, via http://www.avic411.com

Oddly, not one single double-din model has active crossover and processing which is what it really takes to be a good machine for audio quality.

That's what's missing from the market at the moment. A processor in-line is all we can do for this.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
FYI my modded F900BT (diaftia mods from avic411) has speed limit signs, and maps are updated.

Also consider the AVH3200 / 4200 series with the nav add-on. Also a great option sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Can always count on you for a quick response!

I do really like my Pioneer AVIC D1 in my other car...actually shopping for my Lotus so the Voice Command is a big plus...mentioned the factory SYNC stuff since I am asking here.

what is all this "mod" stuff? I went to AVIC411 the other day, and there was not really a simple explanation (or 411?) to tell me what it was all about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, looking at the Pioneer site, it seems the X920BT is just about the same unit as the Z120BT.

I like the physical buttons on the X series unit...are there any other important differences? Seems like the same software.

·
Registered
758 Posts

I went with a Kenwood model a few years ago because the GPS unit was Garmin based and very accurate and easy to update. The sound output is improved with the addition of amplifiers and subwoofers. Make sure you also include a backup camera for the headunit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
fourthmeal said:
Pioneer, hands down. Even the x910 model is great. Nav can be modded in most situations, via http://www.avic411.com
:thumb:

I went with the x910 and modded it via avic411.com and am very pleased with everything, except the discontinuation of live traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the x920 in my SYNC equipped 2010 Escape, and yes they use that same exact voice as SYNC, which is cool because it makes it more "meant to be" in my opinion.

I love the Pio for everything except I feel Garmin is i little clearer with road layouts, a few times I made a wrong turn because the display showed something that wasn't exactly true to what was really happening, but it's OK. I still keep my Garmin NUVI in the car for just in case I need it.

Almost chose the Kenwood because of the Garmin nav, and 5v outputs, but ultimately went with the x920 because of the Pandora link which ROCKS with the iPhone 4.

IPod interface is very nice as well
Doing it all over again, I think I would still choose the Pioneer.

Here's my install, excuse the sideways pic lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.