Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace the front tires on my 05 awd 6cy tribute. The rear's are basically new Fusion XTI's. So far, I am looking at Michelin Latitudes or Firestone Destination LE's. Does anyone have any experience with these tires, or recommendations for other tires?

I will be moving to salt lake city, where there are plenty of hills and potentially deep dry snow in winter. I will be taking it light off-roading occasionally, mostly dirt/gravel roads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hands down: Goodyear Triple Treads. They are truly an all season tire.

GY Triple Treads at Tire Rack

Tire Rack Catagory Rankings They are #1 since the Michelin's are too new and don't have the same mileage to directly compare them.

Our Escape came with the Michelin Latitude's. They are very nice and quiet, but I've only got about 4,000 miles of use on them so I can't really give you an accurate review of them. So far, plenty of grip in all conditions, no hydroplaning, decent in snow with the 4wd and great on the highway.

The latitudes compare nicely with the Triple Treads even though they are in different catagories. Tire Rack Catagory Rankings for the Latitudes

·
Registered
157 Posts
sleeve said:
Hands down: Goodyear Triple Treads. They are truly an all season tire.
:thumb: I have them on my Tribute and they've been awesome.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would highly recommend the Firestone Destination A/T or the Goodyear wrangler A/T, they both get great reviews from the orr-road mags for all year tires, smooth ride low noise..I've used the Firestone Destinations and Firestone ATX on all of my off-road/daily driver rigs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would suggest matching the fronts to rears. It's never a great idea to mismatch tires. In that case, I would only buy Fusions for the front -- if you won't replace the rear -- especially with 4wd! You will not get great results if you put a $160 tire on front, and $90 tire on rear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yipe, Mixed tire = Drift City :) But Dangerous when you dont want to drift around. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
i just put OWL Bridgestone Dueler A/T revo 2's on my 05 limited
look great but more importantly they are quite, smooth, yet aggressive
500 A B -- 50,000 miles
best price $130 a piece
well worth it though

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
jnewberg02 said:
That's a good point about the mixed tires. Has anyone used the fusions? How do they compare to some of the nicer tires you've recommended? Any idea where they could be bought?
I found them on Tire Rack and read thru some of the 73 reviews. There don't seem to be many complaints about general performance. The biggest complaint was wear. There were a few people that said they needed replacement just after 20k miles. Others replaced them in the mid 30's. They seem to be decent in the snow and rain. There were also a few people that complained about the noise.

Check out the reviews at the following link:
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...tireModel=XTi&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for all those recommendations everyone.
Too late now, as my MAXXIS tires were a slight mistake.
Shall wait until they are worn down.

They are safe enough, plus the drive is comfortable.
I purchased them, because they were not too expensive.
Also i just love the white raised lettering.

What is my disadvantage with them?.
My service tech noticed it.
For a highway tire, they have a bit too much road noise.
It is not severely overbearing, but is quite noticeable.

I have definitely had, a lot quieter highway tires in the past.
It is a slightly expensive way, of trial and error but such is life.
So the next time around, shall invest in highway tires with a reputation for quietness.
But i still want the raised lettering.

My local dealer is " BOB JANE ".

·
Registered
490 Posts
stone said:
Thanks for all those recommendations everyone.
Too late now, as my MAXXIS tires were a slight mistake.
Shall wait until they are worn down.

They are safe enough, plus the drive is comfortable.
I purchased them, because they were not too expensive.
Also i just love the white raised lettering.

What is my disadvantage with them?.
My service tech noticed it.
For a highway tire, they have a bit too much road noise.
It is not severely overbearing, but is quite noticeable.

I have definitely had, a lot quieter highway tires in the past.
It is a slightly expensive way, of trial and error but such is life.
So the next time around, shall invest in highway tires with a reputation for quietness.
But i still want the raised lettering.

My local dealer is " BOB JANE ".
ehh -- just put a Gibson catback on, that will take care of the tire noise. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.