Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get the golden beast realigned soon, and probably throw on a new set of rubber (the continentals are seriously edge worn). I'm looking at new tires, and I'm liking the Michelin Latitudes a lot. Either those or the LTX's. Anyone have any experience with those, or other suggestions? I want something with good overall traction for on-road.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For road tires, I'd definitely go with Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads. They have outstanding reviews. And to the best of my knowledge, they are the ONLY all-season ROAD tire to bear the mountain/snowflake symbol, designating that they meet industry standards for extreme winter weather. Usually you only find this on dedicated winter tires, not all-season ones.

I was going to purchase a set, but ultimately I wanted offroad capability too, so I went with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs instead. These also have the mountain/snowflake symbol, which is extremely rare even for all-terrain all-season tires. The only other ones I can think of which have it are the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors; another fine tire, although not relevant to your road-only interests.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
An all season tire is designed and manufactured to perform well at all conditions.
A winter tire is designed and manufactured to perform extremely well in winter conditions...ice, snow etc.
Snow flake and mountain peak engravings don't mean much in the real world.It is a manufacturer's decision and no one else's as to the rating of the tire's capabilities.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
I'm going to get the golden beast realigned soon, and probably throw on a new set of rubber (the continentals are seriously edge worn). I'm looking at new tires, and I'm liking the Michelin Latitudes a lot. Either those or the LTX's. Anyone have any experience with those, or other suggestions? I want something with good overall traction for on-road.
I was looking at those as well last night. Ean will be getting new tires in January. Still not sure what to go with though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought a new set of tire this spring. The old Contis were crap. I too was looking for a mainly pavement tire but I wanted to keep the look of an off-road capable tire. I'm not afraid to get off the pavement, go into mud, or climb a (small) dirt hill.

I went with these (no, I didn't buy them from Tire Rack...I used them for research...along with other sites). These have the snowflake logo, but as other has mentioned, this is not always reliable. The tire is "supposed to be" snow rated. It is not "ice" rated. For that, you need a dedicated snowtire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Rover+RVXT

I've had these less than a year, so this will be the first winter I'll be driving in them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Four Eyes,

Do you like them though during the summer and fall? Nice ride and decreased sound? Ean still has those stupid continentals. He is at 90,000 and they are still going strong ugh! I know I need front tires for sure but I am not going to put half and half. He is getting all new ones.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I feel like my Michelin Latitudes are useless in the winter. Beyond useless, really...

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Dunlops have a little bit of road noise. But then again, the Contis didn't really bother me.

I love these tires. For me they're comfortable. Some people may find them a little stiff, but I think that's part of the stiff suspension on my Escape. Forget about road feel, but the Escape goes where I point it.

I've been riding on them thru the summer and this fall and I've used them for a 3 hour drive to Niagara Falls. No complaints.

Customer reviews at 1010Tires also rate these tires as pretty good : http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tireb ... Rover+RVXT

Now, I just have to wait for some snow and we'll see how they do.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ean-The-Escape said:
Let me know how they do in the snow!!! They sound like a possibility for Mr. Ean. :thumb:
You bet!

I can't wait for the snow to get here. Not just so I can try out these tires, but so I can go snowboarding and skiing!! Woo hoo. :yahoo:

·
Registered
758 Posts
SUVord said:
Snow flake and mountain peak engravings don't mean much in the real world..
I would disagree with the above.

I have three years experience with the Goodyear Fontera Triple Tread tires with excellent results. These tires have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Dedicated snow tires do not have a treadwear warranty. This means every other year you purchase 4 new dedicated snow tires! It can get rather expensive as I experienced for 17 years driving my former vehicle "the station wagon".

·
Registered
82 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
I've been running the Latitudes since I got my E in April (about 6000 mi). Overall, they seem pretty good. Ride and road noise is pretty good, and they handle well on wet pavement. I haven't had them off road or in the snow, but I have read very mixed reviews about how they handle in these conditions (a few think they are great, a few think they are the worst, most are average to below).

Not sure what your weather situation is, but if you really don't deal with snow, the Latitudes would be a good choice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Billyk said:
I have three years experience with the Goodyear Fontera Triple Tread tires with excellent results.
Coming up to the 3rd winter with the TTs myself. First year was a fair amount of snow and they were really good - much better than the Conticraps. Last year wasn't much snow around Vancouver but this year is supposed to be snowy again. The TTs are really good in the wet and dry handling/noise is also really good. :thumb: overall.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My neighbor had the TT's. His only problem with them is they wore out in 40,000 miles. Way before the expected tread life. Other than that, he loved them. My Fortera's did the same thing. He got Michelin's to replace the TT's. I got Firestone Destination LE's. The Destination's have great ride quality and are very good in the rain. They're OK in the snow but not great. Handling and road noise is bad compared to the Fortera's w/ Silent Armor I used to have.

I just did a quick search on TireRack and sorted the list by rating. (CKICK HERE to see the search). Michelin's LTX M/S2 is coming up as highest rated. I've also heard a lot of good things about the General Grabber HTS but recent reviews are saying the real world treadlife is only 40,000 miles so they may have the same issue as the Fortera's. The big plus with the General's is they are a lot less expensive than either the GY's or the Michelin's. They are the tire I wanted, but I couldn't get them at the shop I went to...

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had Goodyear Infinity tires on my 16's and they were very good in the snow. I was able to plow through almost 2feet of snow last year. I now have my 18's that I'll be running through the winter and they are Yokohama Avid Envigor tires. They are excellent in rain and super quiet on the highway. As soon as I get some snow time Ill let you know how they perform. They are a new tire design, but I just googled it and there are some reviews coming in. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts