Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
True Winter Tires do not come with a treadwear warranty for a reason-they don't last. It becomes a pain to replace all four winter tires every other year. I recommend the Goodyear Fontera Triple Tread tires as they come with the mountain and snowflak label indicating they meet severe winter requirements. Better yet, they have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Nokian WR is another option.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'll find a lot of differing opinions about winter tires on this board. Basically a lot depends on the conditions you are driving in. Some tires are better on ice, but aren't good in deep snow, other are the exact opposite.

There's plenty of posts out there already. Do a search and read through a bunch and pick what will work for you. Here's a link to a discussion a few months ago (there's lots more to read).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6417&p=108562&hilit=winter+tires#p108562

If you're looking for the best winter performance, the triple treads (or any tire with a tread warranty) aren't going to give it to you. Depending on your conditions though, it might be suitable.

I'm trying to determine the tires I am going to purchase this winter as well. I've decided after an absolutely horrible winter last year and lots of travel this winter through various snowy regions that I am going to go with a true winter tire. Right now I'm thinking about either the x-ice you mentions, or maybe blizzaks. Not sure which yet, so looking forward to hearing some other opinions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh man....I did this research twice and each time, I came up with a different set of tires.

On my wife's Windstar, we purchased Nokian WR-G2's. On my Escape, I bought a set of Dunlop RV-XT.

Both set of tires come with the snowflake logo, so they're (supposed to be) winter rated. My wife has been driving on the Nokian WR-G2's for 2 winters. She loves them. They're referred to as "All-Weather" radials (as opposed to "All Seasons"). Problem with then Nokians is, where we live, we can only get them from specific tire dealers.

I've seen good reviews for the Dunlop RV-XT, but this will be the first winter I'll be driving on them. I don't have first hand experience with them in snow.

What I love about both of these tires is, I leave them on year round.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
flyers77 said:
Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is one of the best winter tires? I am looking at the Michelin latitude x-ice x12
As long as you stay away from winter tires that promise a long tread wear you are good.
A true winter tire has a soft compound, besides the sipped tread patern.The softer the compound the warmer the tire gets and the better it grips on the road whether it is dry or wet.
Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone and Nokian are the leaders in winter tires.
PS.:10k miles to 15k miles is the average longevity of a top notch winter tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
Oh man....I did this research twice and each time, I came up with a different set of tires.

... Problem with then Nokians is, where we live, we can only get them from specific tire dealers....
I just ordered a set of winter tires for my wife's Hyundai from http://www.tirrack.com . I have done a lot of business with tirerack over the years and have always been satisfied. They don't carry Nokian (actually I've never heard of them) but they do carry a number of brands that you don't typically find in local stores. A little over a year ago I bought a set of Sumitomo tires from them for my Vette at a fraction of the price of the stock Goodyear's and have been very pleased.

When I ordered the winter tires for my wife's Hyundai I discovered that if you buy one of their winter packages which includes the four tires plus a set of wheels to go with them, they will mount and balance the tires for free and ship them to you all ready to put on the car. I got a set of General Altimax Arctic tires mounted on plain black steel wheels and a set of hub caps for $540 including mounting, balancing and shipping to my door. If you already have a set of wheels to put them on, they will ship the tires directly to a local shop - then you just call the shop and make an appointment for installation.

I highly recommend them (and no I don't work for Tire Rack!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks

Bought them on clearance from Tirerack. They retail for almost 3x that where I live. Amazing traction on snow and ice. Like most have stated above, they are a soft compound and only get used in the cold winter months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help.I decided to go for the michelin latitude x-ice xi2. I got them from my ford dealer. I got the Ford direct fit steel rims, with the tire pressure sensors installed for $1230.00 taxes in. I looked around and this is the best price I found, especially because I was very particular on wanting the direct fit rims and a lot of tire places could not get them for me. We will see how these tires do, however I was leaning more towards the blizzaks DMV 1's but the packages that were only available were with the x-ice and the bfg slalom and I preferred the x-ice.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
Toyo Open Country G02 For Montreal Winter too, i bought it with my last Escape 4 years ago, 57,000 Kms and they are like new, really, and there are my winter tire for the new 2011 coming in 6 days.

Just like my all season original tire the continental are like new.

French

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,620 Posts
Luckily, I don't need winter tires any more. If it snows that much here, they close down the town!! :roll:

·
Registered
499 Posts
anyone running firestone distinations a/ts in winter? i am buying a set nmext week and is hoping they are good in snow

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
oldfordisbetter said:
anyone running firestone distinations a/ts in winter? i am buying a set nmext week and is hoping they are good in snow
Me too, getting them next month.... :peace: i think either mega or slav runs them or did run them and love them

·
Registered
137 Posts
I cant say yet that I have had the privilege of driving my new AWD escape with winter tires on it, however i had a FWD 05' Taurus that had Firestone Winterforce tires on it that I absolutely LOVED! I lived at the bottom of a steep hill and through 10" of fresh snow the winterforces pulled the Taurus up the hill with no problem what so ever, it was a lot of fun living on the west side of Michigan getting all the lake effect snow storms and being able to pull off a light faster than a 4WD SUV in the bad conditions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
benyoungheim said:
I cant say yet that I have had the privilege of driving my new AWD escape with winter tires on it, however i had a FWD 05' Taurus that had Firestone Winterforce tires on it that I absolutely LOVED! I lived at the bottom of a steep hill and through 10" of fresh snow the winterforces pulled the Taurus up the hill with no problem what so ever, it was a lot of fun living on the west side of Michigan getting all the lake effect snow storms and being able to pull off a light faster than a 4WD SUV in the bad conditions.
And I will add that I definitely plan to try to find these tires that fit the Escape as I now live in the Sticks of northern NH and have a 45 minute commute over the white mountains to work every day

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.