Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd already posted a thread here, but it looks like I only commented on another thread.

Anyway, because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

The Escape and its sibs have been frustrating for me. A few quarters now we've been near the minimum sample size--but haven't quite reached it--for one or more model years.

With the May results, it looks like we're going to be two responses short for the 2008. So close...

The obvious fix: more participants. So I help those of you who aren't already participating will.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I've seen Michael post on a number of boards.

IMHO, I think his site is a great service for anyone interested in reliability ratings. If you sign up and report your personal experiences, you help other people that might be in the market for a car they have no experience with.

Just my .02. :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Good idea. Kinda like the Consumer Reports annual vehicle survey thingy.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Four big differences compared to CR:

1. Post actual repair rates, not just vague dots

2. Results posted within days of the close of the survey, not months later

3. Results updated four times a year, not just one time

4. Free access for everyone who participates in the survey.

The latest results have just been posted for the 2006 and 2008. The 2008 fell two responses short of the minimum, so like the 2006 result it's asterisked. Both years appear to be about average, maybe a bit better.

Your help needed to provide more precise results, for all model years:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latest results recently posted for the 2006 and 2008. Both years appear to have repair rates near the average. But the sample sizes are small, so these results are asterisked.

Next update in August. I hope to get rid of those asterisks and include additional model years, but it's going to be tight. Additional participants very much needed.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. I'd really like to include results for as many model years as possible in August.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
OK, I registered to do the survey. :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it.

The latest results, posted today, include the 2005, 2006, and 2008. The 2006 and 2008 appear to have repair rates near the average. 2005 owners reported few repairs, but I don't think this result is accurate. A larger sample size would help.

We'd also like to include more model years in future results--just need more participants.

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repairs rates for the Escape are about average, based on the November results.

This month's survey is the last before the February results. Additional participants would be very helpful, since larger sample sizes are needed to provide precise results.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

·
Registered
370 Posts
registered and surveyed. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Have been having severe login problems with this forum, probably cookie-related.

We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 16, better than average, but small sample size

2008: 63, about average

2007: 15, better than average, but very small sample size; actual problem rate probably higher but still better than average

2006: 39, better than average, small sample size

2005: 41, better than average

2003: 52, better than average, very small sample size

A big thanks to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Escape reliability comparisons

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Thank you! I share my info whenever someone is looking into buying a car/truck. Good resource, imo! :thumb: :peace:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Have you solicted the Ford Trucks Enthusiasts forum? There is an Escape section on that board for small trucks.

Maybe IMBOC.com?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FTE denied permission to post without a paid sponsorship. This tends to be the case with forums that have many ads for mods. Since I provide everyone who participates with a free membership, there's no marketing budget.

Updated results next month. Additional participants remain needed--the 2001 feel a single response short of the bare minimum, and the 2002 barely made it in.

Car reliability research

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 31, better than average

2008: 73, about average

2007: 12, better than average, but very small sample size; actual problem rate probably higher but still better than average

2006: 23, better than average, small sample size

2005: 37, better than average

2003: 62, better than average, small sample size

2002: 177, worse than average, but very small sample size

2001: a single response short of the minimum, so no result

A big thanks, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Escape reliability comparisons

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updated results again later this month.

We're going to start providing new stats for the odds of requiring no repairs and the odds of getting a lemon. These require larger sample sizes, so additional participants would be helpful.

For the details, and to sign up:

Car reliability research

1 - 20 of 57 Posts