Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing retrofits for a little over a year now... just recently completed a set for my brother's 2006 Escape XLT AWD. Turned out pretty nice... just very basic and clean looking. I used some 3" G35 bi-xenon projectors and Gen3 ballasts found on that vehicle. I finished them off with E55 shrouds, which I felt looked really nice on the existing bezel. The wiring harness is also custom made by me... it was a little tricky on this model and being in Canada with DRL made the harness even more challenging as I had to splice into that to prevent them from flickering.

The output is amazing and looks just like higher end Land Rovers to approaching cars. Driving at night on the highway with these is a dream! Unfortunately no night time shots yet as my brother lives an hour away and we just haven't been together with a camera past dusk lately.

Feel free to ask any questions and I do offer retrofitting services. Please contact me through private message.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
So you guys in Manitoba have that special pointy snow, eh? Must be hard to shovel.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for the photos smartdude24. Those headlights suit that escape. Is that the headlight technology, which BMW refer to as ' ellipsoid ' ? . :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no problem. I'll try and get some night shots up asap.

stone - not sure I've ever heard of that term. But these are just run of the mill bi-xenon projectors... came off of an Infiniti

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Do you have any steps/pictures or anything to show how to do this? How hard would it be for a normal joe schmoe like me to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother has a few pics on his camera of the setup. It's not too bad as far as a retrofit goes... but it was still the most difficult one I've done.

These headlights are a pain because the sealant Ford uses is not able to be heated up, so you basically have to cut the headlights apart instead of prying the lens off neatly. Here is a pic of where I cut the lights open. I then just went along with sealant and epoxy and it's very strong and watertight.

The wiring harness was another difficult step, but now that I've done it... it's not too bad. Here is a wiring schematic I used. The only difference is that the positive wire for the low beam has to be spliced into the 12V always on DRL... otherwise the projectors will flicker uncontrollably at all times.

Then there was also the issue of space in the headlight. The projector couldn't be put too far forward as it wouldn't clear the lens... so unlike most projectors which are mounted to the oem reflector bowl, these had to be mounted back further and mounted to the actual housings themselves. The challenge there is to get the aiming right 100%, because there is no ability to aim them afterward. Perhaps with a smaller shroud you could get away with mounting the projector in the usual way, but we didn't have that option.

Overall it wasn't too bad... my brother, who has never done a retrofit, pretty much did one of the lights under my guidance and it turned out very nice.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That would be my biggest concern is how to go about aligning it correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah... if you are concerned about that, another option would be to mount the projector to the oem reflector, but from behind and just cut a hole large enough for the lens to poke through. That actually would have been just as much work, but you get the peace of mind of being able to adjust the aiming. Luckily we spent quite a bit of time aiming and mounting very carefully and they turned out perfect... however, I wouldn't use that method on an actual customer's lights as I can troubleshoot anything that goes wrong with his.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those look great, how is the cutoff? It's nice to see the retrofit and time put into it to make it actually work.. not just a hack job with terrible cut off that blinds every on coming car... Nice work!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. The cutoff is absolutely phenomenal. They didn't want lots of color, so no clear lenses or anything like that... but it's very sharp and level. Unfortunately, no pics as he lives an hour away... I should have some soon though. And yes, blinding on coming drivers with hack jobs is my biggest pet peeve!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
smartdude24 said:
And yes, blinding on coming drivers with hack jobs is my biggest pet peeve!!
soo good to hear haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! I actually work mostly with BMW and Infiniti projectors, which I usually get off of eBay or from wreckers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts