Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked one of my local dealers what will need to be done at the 100 000 km service.
Here is the summary that I was given :

Transmission Fuel Engine Drive Line
Automatic Gas 3.0L Duratec FWD

Ford Recommended Maintenance - 100,000 kms ( Show Full Schedule )
Selected Mileage 100,000 kms

Ford Recommended Operations

Change Engine Oil
Replace Oil Filter
Multi-Point Inspection
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
Replace Cabin/Pollen Air Filter
Inspect Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Brake Lines and Hoses, and Parking Brake System
Lubricate Hinges, Latches and Locks
Lubricate Weather-Stripping
Clean Battery Terminals
Replace Crankcase Filter
Replace Engine Air Filter
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Auto trans Fluid
Replace PCV Valve
Replace Platinum Plugs
Replace Transfer Case Fluid
Replace "Yellow" Engine Coolant
Check and Lubricate 4x4 Front Axle U-Joints
Replace Manifold Gasket
Inspect Wheels for End Play or Noise
Total: $1,059.93
Parts: $394.93
Value Package Price: $1,017.90

This is the maintenance package from Ford of Canada

To me this seems like a pretty hefty price for what's being done, I was wondering if anyone else has had this service done yet and if this is a realistic price. :wall:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I paid about $600 for a 45k tuneup for my parents Ford Expedition. IMHO, some money spent on such checkups/service is worth it in the long run. Beats buying a new car.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I ignore most of these list type maintenance deals and perform only what is absolutely required. Change the oil, change the tranny lube, change the filters. 100K is a long way out to mandate arbitrary maintenance. If you operating your car in extreme conditions, you know it and the car will show it. So, do the maintenance. If it's DD in nice conditions you probably don't need that kind of maintenance to be performed on your car. :play:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Interesting they want to replace the transfer case fluid on a 2WD vehicle...and check the 4x4 U joints.

I agree - only do what is needed. I would be replacing the auto trans fluid earlier than 100,000km, but platinum plugs are supposed to last 160,000km (ie: 100,000 miles). Ditto for the engine coolant, which in most cars now is the long life variety (also 100,000 miles).

I love maintenance items that say "Inspect" - that means take a quick look. I can do that for free.

Consult a good independent guy who works on Ford products. You'll probably save a good chunk of change.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kmoose said:
Interesting they want to replace the transfer case fluid on a 2WD vehicle...and check the 4x4 U joints.
I'm a little surprised they didn't mention headlight fluid. :lol:
I know that this list could be pared down a lot. I will most likely only get about half of these items done.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What's a "Crankcase Filter"? My 02 has the air intake filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, and oil filter; all of which are on the list. Is there some extra filter somewhere I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
With that kind of cost, I would expect my car to look like-new when it came out of the shop! :lol: and, I mean, at the standard labor rate in the US of about $125/hr, that's almost eight hours of labor. Good grief.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
most of the privet shops have a list of their own and my last rig at 75,000 ran approx $600.00 US for all fluids, belts, cleaning the jets, etc..

·
Registered
98 Posts
backroad101 said:
Why would the manifold gasket need to be replaced as part of maintenance?
Because the gaskets are crap and they know it. Actually though, the intake manifold is removed to change the rear plugs on the 3.0 V6. Surprised the valve cover gaskets are recommended, I imagine they all start to leak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just had one of my valve cover gaskets replaced on my 2003 with ~93k miles on it. The spark plug gaskets started leaking into cylinders 5 and 6 causing a nasty misfire, good thing my cat on those cylinders is already bad! I ended up replacing the coils on those cylinders too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Escapee11 said:
backroad101 said:
Why would the manifold gasket need to be replaced as part of maintenance?
Because the gaskets are crap and they know it. Actually though, the intake manifold is removed to change the rear plugs on the 3.0 V6. Surprised the valve cover gaskets are recommended, I imagine they all start to leak.
Ah, yeah I forgot that they recommend replacing the gasket when the manifold is removed (to replace the plugs)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Crankcase filter is probably known as a PCV valve it's not a filter really. What it does is it sucks all those hot gases/fumes from the crankcase and routes that air to the air/fuel mixture so that it can be safely burned off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts