Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was showing a mate all the small frogs and tadpoles we have in our pond (a lot of 'em!). I turned over a lily pad to find our pond also has Leeches!! :shock:

Never seen a Leech in the flesh before, and was completely surprised to find them in my little pond in S.E. England! I thought they lived in marshland in hot countries. :confused:

Needless to say, I'm a little bit more careful/aprehensive about sticking my hand in the pond (to catch the tadpoles/frogs) from now on. :yes:

·
Registered
464 Posts
:lol: I hate leeches too. When I come home from the bush I always have a few new friends attached to my legs...

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
You can find leeches pretty much everywhere. They make great fishing bait. They are harmless.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Big Chris said:
<snip> Never seen a Leech in the flesh before <snip>
No pun intended?

:D

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
weebee said:
You can find leeches pretty much everywhere. They make great fishing bait. They are harmless.
I have a couple of leeches up here, the Mother in Law and her new boyfriend, even the wife has had enough of them :confused: :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:hyst: :clap:

I was waiting for something like that...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Leeches have creeped me out since I saw that scene in "Stand by Me".

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My first and only time I came across leeches, or should I say that they came across me. Was in 1967. A little while ago...

I was swimming in a stream in Vermont, I think. When I got out there were probably eight or nine on me. :shock: YIKES! Fortunately, they don't care for matches or fire. A little warming action, and they dropped off. And don't you know that we experimented to see what they looked like all toasty... :angel: :yes:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Not much different as I recall. They are apparently denser than I ever thought. Took a while with matches to get them to krinkle up and die. Also, they don't move around or flip to get away from the heat. Just lay there and take it. :shrug:

I guess they can swim, but out of water they are helpless. Maybe they flail about autonomically to move in the water. Or they don't have any sensor nerves on the outside? IDK.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
What, the "TRAIN!!!" part?

:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:hyst: :clap:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
:bump:

Just wanted to try out this new smiley!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:bump: and again :bump:

I wouldn't have noticed that it was at the bottom, except for the previous :bump: ! :yes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts