Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and had a question. I just picked up an 01' Mazda Tribute with 2.0 and a 5 speed. When shifting I get a very minor grind when shifting into 3rd gear. Only happens when shifting into 3rd and none of the other gears. The clutch was replaced about 47k ago and seems to be in good shape otherwise (no slipping, etc). I figured I bleed the clutch to start my trouble shooting, but cannot for the life of me find a bleed screw on the slave cylinder????? Am I missing something here? Thanks in advanced..

Robert

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Unless they've changed them, the hydraulic assited clutch is a sealed system similiar to a shock absorber.

There are synchronizers in the transmission to eliminate any grinding when shifting, you may have a problem with them on 3rd gear.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
wptski said:
Unless they've changed them, the hydraulic assited clutch is a sealer system similiar to a shock absorber.

There are synchronizers in the transmission to eliminate any grinding when shifting, you may have a problem with them on 3rd gear.
+1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since I need to flush the brake fluid in my 03 Tribute with a manual transmission - I decided to look up the bleeding procedure for the clutch in the official manual for the 03 Ford Escape.

There is no traditional looking bleed screw. Instead, there is a hex screw with no provision for a bleed hose at one end of the cylinder. The hex screw is next to where the fluid line enters the slave cylinder.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1403601

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. I saw the screw you described but was not sure if it was used for bleeding purposes. I was not sure if it was a torx or allen screw or what, but I will look further. Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I bled the system and am still getting the 3rd gear grind. Very frustrating. I am afraid it may be a syncro in the tranny and will likely cost a lot of $$$ to repair. Its odd though because there is no grind for the 1st few minutes of driving. It alomost like it doesnt start until after the engine warms up??? I cant figure it out...May just continue driving for now until it gets bad. Thanks for the replies..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
red5033 said:
Well, I bled the system and am still getting the 3rd gear grind. Very frustrating. I am afraid it may be a syncro in the tranny and will likely cost a lot of $$$ to repair. Its odd though because there is no grind for the 1st few minutes of driving. It alomost like it doesnt start until after the engine warms up??? I cant figure it out...May just continue driving for now until it gets bad. Thanks for the replies..
Things always change with temperature.

·
Registered
501 Posts
red5033 said:
I had something similar with 3rd in a car I used to own. Try double shifting, if it doesnt grind when you do, its probably the syncro. Does it grind more when going from 4th to 3rd?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would do what Molano says to be sure it is the synchro or not.
While driving in 2nd gear press the clutch, take it from 2nd to neutral, release the clutch, press the clutch again and put it in 3rd gear, release the clutch.
If with that procedure you hear no grinding then it definitely is the 3rd gear's synchro that is the culprit.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think its the synchro. I tried double clutching it when going into 3rd and no grind at all. The only thing that is odd is that I get no grind at all when shifting into 3rd when the car is cold. Its like when the gear oil warms up, it starts acting up. I wonder if changing out the gear oil in the tranny to someting else heavier / lighter would do anything???? Only does it going into 3rd though and its not bad, so I guess I'll just keep double clutching it for now, or until I come up with something else.

Robert

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
red5033 said:
Well, I think its the synchro. I tried double clutching it when going into 3rd and no grind at all. The only thing that is odd is that I get no grind at all when shifting into 3rd when the car is cold. Its like when the gear oil warms up, it starts acting up. I wonder if changing out the gear oil in the tranny to someting else heavier / lighter would do anything???? Only does it going into 3rd though and its not bad, so I guess I'll just keep double clutching it for now, or until I come up with something else.

Robert
Metal expands as it heats up, so in your case it's causing a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts