Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir and then refill it. I did this every few days for a couple weeks. It took 2 quarts to get the fluid looking new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second the Turkey baster solution. While you're not going to get it as clean as you would with a proper flush, the colour was pretty much new and the colour difference made me feel glad I did it.

I had to use a short length of tube (1/2" OD?) attached to the end of the baster because mine wouldn't fit in the top of the reservoir. The tube also helped avoid dripping. I used 4L since it was the same price as two 1L jugs and cycled through all of it in about an hour or so. Just drive onto some cardboard to make it easier to steer left and right.

·
Registered
482 Posts
To bleed :

Raise the front wheel off the ground.
Start engine and let it idle.
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left then
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right.
Turn the wheel several times.
Top up as necessary.

Some people say turn the wheel from lock position to lock position. Some say turn the wheel until it's at "almost" lock position. Your choice. I personally don't go to lock position. It's the same reason why I raise the front wheels off the ground....less stress on the system during the bleeding process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts