Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i wanted to switch my door xlt doorhandles and mirrors to the black body colored ones does that change the locks or anything electrically with the mirrorss? just wanted to know since I've seen some of you guys changed either to chrome or whatever other color. And how much would it cost?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gosh your Escape always looks great!

I have been looking for them too. While I think the black plastic looks ok(ish), I would prefer metallic body color handles and mirrors as well. I have been looking online and the only thing I have been able to find are chrome "covers," which I don't want.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I think I tried to investigate this. You'd need to find a junked Limited of 08+ stature... not sure the 01-07 have the same handle... I'm sure the lock assembly can be replaced, but from what it looks like, you need to remove the interior panels among other things you gotta take off. This doesn't include time spent priming and painting and clearcoating the handles to match the body color. :/

If I were you, I'd aim for the body-colored rocker panels first. Much easier to change and, in my opinion, a much more substantial mod. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which are you talking about? The grey line going across the bottom?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I thought about that. But that's not easily found I'm assuming. How much do you think it will cost?

Thanks for the compliment Kurochan.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My Limited has the painted black handles and painted black mirror housings. The handles are the same on all Escapes from 2001-2011. Some Tribute models had differently-shaped handles (ironically, the same as the first-generation Focus).

I have a set of chrome handles (not just the covers) that I bought on ebay. They're not quite OEM quality -- there are slight ripples along the outside of the handles, sharper edges than the OEM handles, flash molding seams inside the handles, and scratches on the handles prior to chroming, so the scratches are permanent. I may not install them on my Escape, but maybe I'm being too picky. I'm actually trying to figure out how to add an embedded LED in each handle, wired to the interior lamps.

I'd also avoid painting the handles. Unless you can find someone who uses OEM paint and OEM paint procedures, you'll have handles with tacky, unhardened paint, and that will quickly turn into scratches and chips. You're better off finding a wrecked Escape with painted handles, then having them professionally chrome-plated, which isn't as expensive as it sounds.

I wasn't too happy with Ford when the 2008 Escape redesign was released and I saw that the older handles were recylced. Ford changed most of its other cars (even the 2008 Focus) to use the new Fusion/Edge door handles, and those can be replaced without removing the inside door trim (there's an access hole with a rubber plug on the inside edge of the door above the latch). Those handles are sleeker, the rubber gasket is hidden, and they operate more smoothly. Grrr...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what i've seen and read somewhere, the paint quality on the limited is better than that of the xlt. So if i got the limited's doorhandles and mirror, it wouldn't really match. the limited has like a darker black and it looks smoother.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
They used black vs. tuxedo black? Ford does strange things sometimes.

In case you weren't aware, tuxedo black is black with small glass beads as opposed to tiny metal flakes in metallic paints. Hence the deeper color.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's in the 2011 and up. But xlt also has that paint option.they said there's a better clearcoating or something

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.